Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barley's been wounded again

edwin astill

Thanks to those who responded to my last question. Barley went back to France and this time found himself in the 4th Worcestershire Regt. getting very badly wounded in 1917 and after being operated on spent some time at (looks like) Kilre, Knutsford. Once on the mend he breaks his leg again attending a jolly in Knutsford, and after a spell at Manchester Royal Infirmary His Majesty decides to let him go.

Again, does this ring any bells for the experts out there?

Thanks

Edwin

Google tells me that Kilrie was a children's home in Knutsford until recently. Just the sort of place that would have been a hospital.

John

Thanks, John. You pals answer 'em quicker than I can write 'em!

Edwin

• 2 months later...

Edwin

Apologies for coming to the thread late. I found it in a search.

I know Kilrie and have a photo of it as a hospital in 1918. Would you be interested?

It was where Ladies Mile meets Northwich Road, Knutsford - about half a mile from the town centre, adjoining the Heath. The house was demolished and new housing built on the plot in the last six or seven years. There was an exhibition on Kilrie around the time of its demolition and I'm certain that the local history people will have archive information.

Gwyn

Thanks, Gwyn. Is it possible to post it on this site - others might be interested as well?

Edwin

I added location labels. Should you want an unlabelled, uncompressed copy, please say.

The Heath's road-side railings are still there, but there are now substantial trees inside the boundary, there are houses to the left of the horse (some part of a very small estate erected in the 1920s to provide housing for soldiers returning from the Great War) and along Northwich Road behind the property boundary; and Kilrie is no more. Within a couple of hundred yards is the former Cottage Hospital which is a War Memorial, with a statue of a soldier in its grounds, and the Drill Hall was on the opposite side of the Heath. All that Great War history in a little square of a small, historic market town.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Gwyn

Just to orientate myself, am I right in thinking that the town centre is further up Manchester Road, past the horses?

John

No, the town centre is down the road behind the photographer. I originally mislabelled the road, stupidly and have now edited the picture.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn. I'll make a copy and give it to the Liddle Collection to add to Barley's papers (acknowledging your contribution)

Edwin

So do you want a decent image document, Edwin? This is substantially compressed and reduced, as well as having my labels.

Gwyn