Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW McCurdy help

Desmond7

McCURDY, Rifleman, WILLIAM, 631. 11th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. 1st July 1916. Age 19. Son of Mrs. Mary McKeown (formerly McCurdy), of Ballylough Begg, Bushmills, Co. Antrim. VI. J. 1.

Can someone do a SDGW on this guy for me?

hi desmond the following on s,d,g,w isWILLIAM MCCURDY BORN CASTLECATT ENLISTED CLANDEBOYE RESIDENCE CASTLECATT ALL CO,ANTRIM ok hope its of help

Desmond,

Could I please trouble you for some details, if you have them, on the following Black Watch TF soldier who was serving with the 4/5th Black Watch when killed in 1918. I am assuming he was injured and came to the 4/5th as a reinforcement:

266283 Pte Bloomer, William John

KIA: 01/04/1918

Pozieres Memorial, Panel 49 and 50.

Born Belfast

If this is possible it is much appreciated

Aye

Tom McC

Thanks for the look up folks. Much appreciated.

With ref to Bloomer.

I can find a William John Bloomer of 46 Cumberland Street on the Ulster Covenant website.

Medal card of Bloomer, William J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Highlanders 3617 Private

Royal Highlanders 266283 Private

Sorry Tom - this is about my lot. Forum member Markinbelfast may well be worth a PM. He does a lot of newspaper research on Belfast men ... I'm a bit more parochial!

Desmond,

Great thanks, and good a good tip about the Ulster Covenant. I think William Bloomer must have been one of the Belfast lads that joined the 6th.

Aye

Tom McC

This week’s recruiting:- 18th Royal Irish Rifles - R. James Robinson, Prospect Place; James Mairs, Parkhead; Henry Dempster, Parkhead; Hugh Conaughty, Garvaghy, Portglenone; Barclay Fleming, Garvaghy; Hugh Harris, Drumraw; Alex. McClean, Brackneymuckly; James Swann. Crevillyvalley; Thos. Shaw, Clough; David Allen, Alfred Stret; Wm. McQuillan, Alexander Street; Agnew Crowe, Glenwherry; Alex. Sands. Ballyconnelly, Cullybackey; Adam Ireland, Aughafatten; James Robinson, Larne Street; Wm. Herbinson, Craigs; James Gillespie, Slatt;

Wm. McCurdy, Artnagross;

Wm. McVeigh, North Street; Wm. Montgomery, Kirkinriola; Thos. Picken, Slatt; Matthew Gibson, Slatt; James Weir, Ahoghill; Arthur Kennedy, Joseph Kennedy, George Kennedy all Broughdone; Joseph McAleese, Robert Street; James Rock, Ballygarvey.

John - take a look a list above - Many of these guys go to 11th Rifles.

I was intrigued by McCurdy .... is Artnagross a townland near Portglenone by any chance?

I am working on 'lateral lines' at the mo ... could be way off beam!

Should have done this earlier ... I reckon the Artnagross McCurdy (who would be borderline to us) is 18/793. The KIA from Bushmills is obviously not the huy I was looking for but I reckon both of 'em went to 11th Rifles?

Have checked and cross checked some names on the recruitment list and a fair proportion ended up with the 'South Antrims'.

Medal card of McCurdy, William

Corps: Royal Irish Rifles

Regiment No: 18-793

Medal card of McCurdy, William

Corps: Royal Irish Rifles

Regiment No: 18/631

Des

I can't find my reference book - had to tidy up! However, Artnagross is Finvoy, the Vow area of the Ballymoney district. You would turn off the Cullybackey - Kilrea Rd at the pub, McLaughlin's corner, and then immediately left onto the Vow Rd.

Regards

Carninyj

Des

Thompson has Wm. McCurdy 793 (Ballymoney Heroes). He says Kilrea district, son of Alexander & late Anna, commemorated in Finvoy Presbyterian, DOW as POW.

Regards

Name: McCURDY

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 12th Bn

Date of Death: 03/04/1918

Service No: 793

Additional information: Son of Alexander McCurdy, of Artnagross, Kilrea, Co. Londonderry, and the late Anna McCurdy.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. BB. 21.

Cemetery: ST. SOUPLET BRITISH CEMETERY

Prob. caught it in the March 21 offensive.

Just going through the 'country boys' who joined up in the October/Nov period of 1915 ..... keeping my hand in!

Got both the Connaughty bros. from Portglenone the other day (picture wise) ... Robert gets hit with 11th Rifles on 1st July and is on their wounded returns, which fits with family legend.

Bro. Hugh has a 'G' prefix ... which I assume means he was assigned to garrison duties?

Thoughts?