Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Hussars regiment?

Guest MaryB

My great uncle survived the war, but I would like to find out some more about his history - I have a card photo of him in boxing uniform and it gives his name and the fact that he was the boxing champion of The Hussars 1914 -1918. Any idea how I track down which of the Hussars regiments he was in?

Another great uncle died, but he was in the Royal Irish Rifles, and that was via a transfer, so no clues there.

Can you give me his name as I may already know of him if he was in one of three Hussars Regiments? Oterwise at the Public Record Office you may find a Medal Index card which should pin-point him.

Thank you - his name was Patrick John Lonergan, known predictably as Paddy. In case it helps, he was born in Cahir, but lived in Southwark, South London with his family.

I don't recognise the name but my grandafther was an Hussar born near Cahir too and I have Lonergan relatives! Strangely my name is also Patrick John!

I'll see if I can find out more.

Mary B

There is no Patrick John Lonergan to the 14th, 20th or 13th Hussars as far as I can tell in the GReat War or the Boer War. You will need to try to get his Medal Index Card at the PRO. I may be there in the new year if you can wait that long. By the way the Longerans we are connected to lived in Cahir and Knockgraffon.

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone and apologies for the delay in response; due to work!!

I have tried with the photo, but unsuccessfully, it is however in a studio, and he is just dressed in sort of long-johns and a long-sleeved teeshirt with his fists up in a boxing pose.

Although he was born in Cahir, only 3 of the 6 children were, the others were born in Southwark, although they did subsequently return there, and then back to England again where they remained.

Anything else, anyone could think of would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

Mary, Patrick,

My name is Lonergan, my father was Patrick Josef lonergan, from Tipperary.

I dont often see the name around so its a surprise to see it on this forum.

Arm.

Patrick, if you could look him up in the Medal Index that would be wonderful and I am really grateful. It doesn't appear that he has a middle name, but I am this weekend going to try and get a death certificate for him to substantiate that. I have a memorial card, stating that he died in 1941, so fingers crossed. I have cross-examined family members again and my aunt thinks that he was in the 4th Hussars, but no evidence yet!! Does anyone have an address for their regimental museum? Thought I might just go to them direct and ask the question!

Josef is not one of our 'family names' as far as I can tell, but John is. His brother John Denis Lonergan, known as Jack died at Ypres in October 1918.

If (no, when) I find out more I will post it.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Mary