Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling Connaught Rangers experts

Chris_Baker

A bit before the Great War, and even before the Haldane reforms of 1908.

In 1904, the Connaught Rangers had two battalions. 1st was I believe in Mullingar, in India. 2nd was also in India, at Ahmednagar.

But I don't think that the 3rd or 4th Bns which certainly existed after 1908 were around at that time. So what and where was the home training reserve of the regiment?

Chris

Mullingar is in Ireland County of Westmeath, slap bang in the dead centre of Ireland.

I think there is an Indian restaurant there :D

Blimey, I knew that "10 atlases for 99p" was too good an offer! Actually I gotthe reference from an otherwise very good website on the regiment, which will remain nameless. Thank you.

No probs, funnily enough my great grand uncle was a Connaught Ranger 5th Bn.

Have you tried the guys at Dungarvan Museum here in Ireland, I got this from their website:

"The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion and 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalions were mobilised on 4 Aug 1914 at Galway and Boyle respectively. After service in Ireland and England they were merged into the 3rd Battalion in Dover, Kent and ended the war in Dover Garrison. "

http://www.dungarvanmuseum.org

Chris

In 1889 the South Mayo Rifles and the North Mayo Militia were amalgamated to become the 3rd CR. They were disbanded in 1907.

In 1889 the Galway Militia and Roscommon Militia became the 4th and 5th Battalion CR and following the disbandment of the 3rd CR became the 3rd and 4th CR in August 1908.

Hope this helps

Trooper

Eddie I an currently researching a PhD on the 10th Irish Division of which the 5th CR was a battalion, would be interested in any information you might have about your great grand uncle or the battalion.

Hi Trooper

I'm afraid all I know is what's in my signature, I am in London this week on a rare trip and was hoping to do some research at Kew but of all the weeks I chose they are closed for stocktaking.

I can tell you that my uncle was born in 1891 in the Notting Hill area of London and the family at that time had no Irish connections.

I have posted a picture on this thread of him search under Units and Formations "What Regiment?, Could a man choose" and you'll find it.

Good luck with the phd, I'd like to have a read when it's completed if that's possible.

If I do come across any further info on my uncle I will certainly make it available. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Trooper

I have now had the opportunity to fully research my Great Grand Uncle and his time in the Connaught Rangers, I ma going to mail you off forum I the info is of use to you. :D