Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Multan

nicko576

Has anybody any photographs or information on Multan, espeically Edwardes Barracks, My Great Grandfather died there in 1918, trying to find anything about the place

• 1 year later...

All

Would like to rejuvenate this and see if we can add anything this time round. I am also looking at Multan and trying to get a sense of activities there during the war years - willvery little success todate. Anybody have anything on this or any ideas on where we can uncover more detail ?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

I had forgotton this post, i put it on so long ago, I never really found out much apart from it was pretty quiet, are you looking for an individual soldier or multan as a whole.

Nick

Nick

I am researching the 1/5th Devons. They were stationed there from Nov'14 until Dec'15 - my Grandfather served with them. However am finding it very difficult to put together a picture of events through the year. Lots of references to unrest in the Punjab in general but little specific detail on what troops posted there had to deal with. Also have a confusing picture with Bn being split with Coys across different locations with possibly HQ Coy being stationed in Dalhousie. Any idea how big the garrison at Multan would have been ?

Any insight at all would be helpful.

Regards

Dave

Dave

Sorry i cannot add anything, but i seem to remember a photo on the web somewhere

Nick

• 1 year later...

I found this thread on a search for 'Multan' and thought I'd bump it up again. I would also be interested to know a bit about Multan as I am researching a soldier who died of cholera in the 'Old Army Clothing Factory' there.

I've tried googling but to no avail.

Swizz

Herbert Edwardes was one of the architects of the Raj: his book A Year on the Punjab Frontier is utterly fantastic (in all meanings of the word), Wiki. The city of Bannu (Bunnoo to Edwardes) was for a time called Edwardesbad. It is now (sadly) the target of fundamentalist terror.

I would recommend the book Soldier Sahibs by Charles Allen to anyone who wishes to read more about Edwardes, the Lawrences, Battye, reynell Taylor, etc, etc.

Nice link, Terry.

Another connection is, of course, the 15th Lancers, Cureton's Multanis, recruited from the tribesmen in the area.

Terry / Steven

Thanks for this. Like Swizz have never really be able to get a decent insight into Multan. Have been trying for years to understand what the TF units life there was like in the garrison years before Palestine.

Regards

Dave

Yes, thanks for the link - it makes for some interesting reading. I felt quite sad for the soldier who says, when receiving a copy of an English newspaper, that the good thing is not so much the newspaper itself as the thought that someone had taken the time to send it.

Anyway, that is a bit off-topic! Once the CWGC contact function returns I am going to get in touch to find out the original burial place for the soldier I'm interested in (he is commemorated on the memorial in Karachi). That will be another small piece of information!

Swizz

• 11 years later...

Going to give this another try. Still looking for photo’s and details on Edwardes Barracks and a map of the cantonment circa the Great War. Can anyone help ?

Regards

Dave

On 01/08/2021 at 11:10, ddycher said:

Going to give this another try. Still looking for photo’s and details on Edwardes Barracks and a map of the cantonment circa the Great War. Can anyone help ?

Regards

Dave

Here is the Gazetteer from a decade before WW1: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.35265/page/n1/mode/2up

There was little change during that period.  If you examine the contents page near the front you can focus your reading.

And for comparison, here is 1923-24: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.105624/page/n3/mode/2up

Both sources came via FIBISWIKI courtesy of forum member, Maureene: https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Multan

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks Frogsmile

Long been fascinated with Multan. Have recently been tracking through the Volunteers there (and the Punjab in general) from the 1860's to the Great War. Hence the separate thread. Ref's are generally difficult to find. These Gazettes a great help. My focus is now back again around the mobilisation of the 3rd Lahore Div., the forming of the Lahore Div'l Area and the movements between Multan and Lahore at this time. Fascinating study.

For the life of me though I have never been able to locate a decent pre-war map of the cantonment and details of the barracks is constrained to what I have been able to pull from the Barracks Dept records. Very limited.

Thanks again.

Dave