Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's Memoirs: 2/6 South Staffordshire Regt.

Steve Favill

Hi Wig

Do you have any information in relation to the Staffords and the troubles in Dublin. My G.Grandad was one of the Staffords in Dublin, Anything that would put more meat on the bone in relation to his service would be welcome.

Regards Doug.

The bodies of two men were found buried in the cellar of a house that had been used by the Staffords in their assault on rebel positions in the North King Street area of Dublin. In that assault the Staffords had lost two officers and eleven NCOs and men killed, with twenty eight others wounded.

The Dublin Coroners court returned a verdict as follows: "We find the daid Patrick Bealen died from shock and haemorrahage resulting from bullet wounds inflicted by a soldier, or soldiers, in whose custody, he was an unarmed and unoffensive prisoner. We consider that the explanation given by the military authorities is very unsatisfactory, and we believe that if the miltary autharities had any inclination they could produce the officer in charge"

General Maxwell accepted that brutalities had been committed.

The whole Battalion of the Staffords was paraded in an identification parade and the wives and mothers of the dead men were invitd to pick out the soldiers who had committed the murders. They were unable to identify anyone as the two soldiers responsible - who had shot them and buried them - had been sent back to England on the orders of their Colonel. One, Corporal Bulluck and the other, an unamed Sgt. lived long in quiet retirement.

General Maxwell refered to the Sgt in a letter to Lork Kitchener, describing him as acting like a madman but saying that given the circumstances he was suprised there were not more..

The Prime Minister ordered an enquiry and annononced to the House of Commons that it is impossible to bring home responsibility to any particular person or persons.......

The best decription of the fighting that the South Staffs were involved in (and the North Staffs) can be found in "The Easter Rebellion" by Max Caulfield, published by Gill & Macmillan (www.gillmacmillan.ie)

wig

Thanks for the info wig.

Regards Doug.

Fifth and final installment:-

"November 1917

In a most vicious attack at Havrincourt Wood using 360 tanks the British attempted to break the German line. The Germans used mustard gas shells against the tanks, which we saw stopped short of their goal. When we relieved the Guards Regiments who had followed the tanks into action, most of these fine big fellows were bawling like babies having suffered from shock caused by a severe artillery barrage.

Two days later mustard gas got the better of me and my buddy, the only two signallers sent up with battalion headquarters. The Sgt Major sent us down the line to the first aid station, and on the three mile walk my buddy sat down on the dge of a shell hole to rest. I persuaded him to get up and keep moving, and we had gone a few yards when a German shell exploded just where we had stopped to rest, the German observation balloon had been watching us and had intended to knock us out. I never did see my buddy Trubshaw again, but I did learn that he had survived.

I landed at the Military Hospital, Queens Park, Blackburn, Lancashire, which is where I met Lily Almond of 107 Rockliffe Street Blackburn who I was later to marry. From late December until about the middle of March, 1918 it was a good place to recuperate.

Joining my regiment (a good part of it) at the Cathedral City of Lincoln, I was given the opportunity of taking three months training to qualify as an instructor of physical training and bayonet fighting . This was my cup of tea, and I made the grade. I was sent to a newly formed Tank Corps Regiment stationed at Cannock in Staffordshire, luckily only fifteen miles away from my home at 78 Powell Street Wolverhampton. That instructing job was the most enjoyable part of my army service."

William Herbert Lewis

Was born December 7th, 1898 in Willenhall, Staffordshire.

Married Lily Almond in Blackburn, Lancashire on March 5th 1921.

Died in Fort Wayne, Indina, USA on May 29th, 1981.

Thank you for indulging me.

Steve

Steve,

thanks for sharing this with everyone.

Here is another extract from the 6th Battalion War history, covering Bourlon wood:

"

Bourlon Wood

On the morning of November 27th sudden orders were received to move within half an hour, the route being through Gouzeaucourt, Villiers Plouich to Ribecourt, and along a road packed with military traffic of all sorts. On November 28th news of difficulty in progress was received, and there was a check on the forward movement. A party from each Company went forward to learn the lie of the land and the scene of operations, and saw every sign of a coming battle on a big scale. Notably there were the Tanks. The particular locality from the Battalion's point of view was Bourlon Wood, where Battalion Hqrs. were situated in a big and deep dug-out. The wood was crowded with British troops—guardsmen, dismounted cavalry, Londoners, North-countrymen and Staffordshire Midlanders. The Battalion arrived in the midst of a formidable shelling, its CO. then being Lieut.-Col. Stuart Wortley and its Company Commanders Captain Yeatman (" A "), Lieut. Astbury (" B "), Captain Sheppard (" C "), and Captain A. F. Brown (" D ").

Shelling continued and casualties, now begun, did not cease. The air became heavy with gas, and there was no wind to scatter it. It was a crowded area, extremely inconvenient and poisonous. If the shelling diminished with the dawn, the obsession of enemy 'planes took its place, the 'planes flying low and reconnoitring for a purpose it was not possible to doubt. And with the dusk the intensity of the shelling was renewed and increased, the range being even more accurate than before on account of the reconnaissance. An endless stream of casualties poured from the wood, looming a dark and formidable mass in the night. Incessant gas-shells made the ubiquitous poison deadly, The defenders of the place were blind and vomiting long before the attack ahead developed. The serious and critical nature of the attack was evident from the appalling noise and energy of our own bombardment. It was on the morning of November 30th that the impact came. If it had reached our men in the wood, the mustard gas would have destroyed all power of resistance. As it was, the front line held and there were still some remnants of our unit for the 2/4th Lincolns to relieve on Saturday, December 1st. But the casualties had been devastating. Particular mention should be made of Captain Atkinson, who, returning from leave on the evening of the 30th, refused to avail himself of the usual boon of staying in the transport lines over-night, and preferred to return at once to his men, and so went voluntarily to his death. Of the five hundred or six hundred men of the Battalion who marched into Bourlon Wood, less than one hundred marched out. The stretcher-bearers had over half a mile to travel with their burdens, and yet they excelled themselves in their effort and achievement, as is authoritatively recorded. Of those who had to make their own way on foot, the picture of those strings of blind men, led by one who could see, and each with a hand on the other's shoulder, is never to be forgotten. Such, indeed, was the havoc wrought by the poison gas, that what was left of the Battalion had to be withdrawn for a period of six weeks, to recover some measure of physical fitness. For them, Christmas 1917 passed pleasantly enough, thanks to such entertainments as Miss Lena Ashwells Concert Party, or to the ever-increasing friendship with the 2/6th North Staffords, near neighbours.

"

Stuart

Stuart,

these official entries give a lot of depth to his notes. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to enter them in your reply.

He wrote things down rather late in life, and if he could have started sooner while his memory was better, we could have had a wonderful first-hand account of life at the sharp end. I suppose it took some time for him to be able to come to terms with what happened, which is reflected in the lack of detail.

Stuart,

these official entries give a lot of depth to his notes. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to enter them in your reply.

He wrote things down rather late in life, and if he could have started sooner while his memory was better, we could have had a wonderful first-hand account of life at the sharp end. I suppose it took some time for him to be able to come to terms with what happened, which is reflected in the lack of detail.

Steve,

The "War history" was written by officers from the 1/6 and 2/6 Battalions, from their point of view. Observations and recollections from "other ranks" should also be recorded, as this is the experience of most of the men involved.

Thanks again for showing a little of the real people behind medal roll names and numbers.

Stuart

Thank you for sharing the memoirs it is appreciated. It gives me an insight into my G.Grandads service.

Regards Doug.

• 1 month later...

Steve,

Some more information on Bourlon Wood

59th Division 1915-1918

Chesterfield. Wilfred Edmunds, Limited, Printers. 1928

Reprinted by Naval & Military Press, ISBN 1-84734-475-5

Part of the chapter “The 176th Infantry Brigade,

By Colonel Sir T. G. Cope, Bart., C.M.G., D.S.O.”

We stayed in this area till November 17th, when we were relieved by the 3rd Canadian Brigade, and moved South to be in reserve for the Cambrai battle, which commenced on November 20th.

On November 23rd we arrived at Heudicourt in reserve to the South portion of the salient we were now holding in front of Welsh ridge.

On November 25th I went up to see the 6th Buffs of the 12th Division, and was shocked to see how thin the whole line was. The men had been in the line since carrying out the first attack, and had suffered 50 per cent. Of casualties, and the O.C. told me all the Brigades of the Division were in like plight. This so impressed me that I determined to practice for a counter attack on Gouzeaucourt. On the supposition that the enemy had broken through, I held a tactical scheme for officers on November 26th, and on November 27th we were to have done it with the whole Brigade, but fortunately the morning dawned wet, so we stood by. At 10 a.m. we were told to march across the base of the salient to Flesquieres to relieve the Guards, who had one Brigade roughly handled at Bourlon Wood. The Brigade billeted that night round Ribecourt, and on November 28th took over from the 2nd Guards Brigade in the Bourlon Wood and Fontaine sectors. The 2/5th Leicesters were attached to the Brigade, and were put to the right support.

2/5th South Staffs. On right.

2/5th North Staffs. In centre.

2/6th North Staffs. Bourlon Wood.

2/6th South Staffs. Support in Bourlon Wood.

I at once realised that no sane man would attempt to attack through Bourlon Wood, which at that time was so knocked about that it was almost impossible to get through, and I asked General Romer if I might hold the wood with two Companies and move the remainder back to a more healthy position, where they could be used if required to counter attack, as it seemed quite obvious that in case of a Hun attack, the enemy would fill the wood with gas and attack on each side.

General Romer quite agreed, and orders for this had actually gone out when a wire arrived to say that Corps did not approve as they considered Bourlon Wood a most important tactical feature, and the minimum garrison must betwo Battalions. I could have cried as I knew what was coming, and if my Battalions broke on the Fontaine Sector (they were stretched like a bow-string), I had no reserves. On 30th November the storm broke, but miraculously the bow string held, but all the while gas was being pumped into Bourlon Wood. The Hun broke through the 55th Division front and captured Gouzeaucourt, threatening our rear. If only we had still been at Heudicourt we should have had the unique experience of actually carrying out in reality what we had practiced in a field day, and I have always regretted that this experience was denied us. Certainly no one could have done the job better than the Guards did without any rehearsal at all, but I could not help smiling to myself when I remembered the unholy glee with which the Guards handed over to us, and departed to their well-earned rest, only to be hauled back again.

On December 1st the poor 2/6th South and 2/6th North were in a very bad state suffering from gas; the whole wood smelt like a laboratory, and these Battalions had now had 36 hours of it, so that it was almost impossible to avoid taking off your gas mask, if only to put some food in. The result, of course, was that these Battalions, with the T.M. Battery, had to be sent back to Rue on the sea coast to recover. They left on December 10th, and did not rejoin the Brigade until the end of January; practically all those who had been in the wood had to be evacuated and took no further part in the War. The 2/5th South Staffs and 2/5th North Staffs, although stretched to their utmost, withstood the repeated attacks of the enemy. Corporal Thomas, 2/5th North Staffs, as related elsewhere in this book, gained the V.C. for his gallant conduct on this day. On December 5th the Brigade was withdrawn to Ytres and Lechelle, but on December 10th the 2/5th South Staffs and 2/5th North Staffs returned to the trenches, coming under the orders of the 178th Brigade, but Christmas and New Year was spent in the Le Cauroy area well behind the lines.

Regards,

Stuart

• 5 weeks later...

I read with great interest the posts on here.my grandfather fought in the flying corps but he had a brother who joined the 8th battalion of the Sth Staffords and arrived in France on 22 May 1917. He was then transferred to the 7th Bedfordshires on 17 June but what would he have done in the meantime. Does anyone know the activities of the battalion for those dates. Their brother James was called up in 1918 so i am told and served in Ireland rather than France. I have found a James Turton in the Sth Staffordshires so as they served in Ireland i suppose this could be him.

I read with great interest the posts on here.my grandfather fought in the flying corps but he had a brother who joined the 8th battalion of the Sth Staffords and arrived in France on 22 May 1917. He was then transferred to the 7th Bedfordshires on 17 June but what would he have done in the meantime. Does anyone know the activities of the battalion for those dates. Their brother James was called up in 1918 so i am told and served in Ireland rather than France. I have found a James Turton in the Sth Staffordshires so as they served in Ireland i suppose this could be him.

The 8th Battalion South Staffs and 7th Battalion Bedfordshires were both "Kitchener Army" battalions, who initially were training in the UK before going to France. More information can be found on the main site (The Long, Long Trail, link on top left). There is some information on both battalions :South Staffordshires, scroll to 8th Battalion, and Bedfordshires, scroll to 7th Battalion.

Other members may have copies of the war diaries for these Battalions, and be able to provide information on specific dates if you would like these.

Regards,

Stuart

• 4 years later...

New Island about to publish a book called "Crossfire - The Battle of the Four Courts 1916" which deals extensively with the details of the actions of the South Staffordshires in Dublin during the Easter Rebellion including their loss of discipline which lead to the murder of non-combatants in and around the streets in the vicinity of the Dublin Four Courts. Publication is next Wednesday and i will post a review shortly thereafter. Author is Paul O'Brien who has already published acclaimed accounts of the Sherwood Forester's actions in the Easter Rising. post-9356-0-65185100-1332423272.jpg

• 1 year later...

Dear all,

I am both amazed and heartened to find such an interesting series of comments about the 2/6 SS.

I spent many years researching their history and my grandfathers role within that history. My grandfather HMCC Hubert Montegue Cotton Curtis was a 2/6 North Staff, who spent all his time with the 2/6SS. On arrival in Dublin he was acting as the 2IC which he continued to be until the death of SW on 21/03/18. He then assumed command until 31/07/18 and the disbandment.

I was particularly interested to read about the HQ soldier who took notes for the CO or the Major, I assume that would have been my Grandfather - Awesome.

I never met him he died in the 1940's.

The battalion certainly had a difficult time of it like almost all infantry regiments serving in France.

I have plenty of history and stuff, he was awarded a DSO and 2 bars whilst serving in France, 2 with the 2/6 and one when in command of the 7th Buffs in the 18th Div after the disbandment

WGCurtis

These are his medals, and I enclose a letter he wrote at the end of March 1918

30/3/18

Dear Teddy

Things have been it pretty lively lately, on the first day of the attack (21st) the Battalion was in the front line and hardly a soul is left except a few men who managed to get back.

Have no idea what happened to any Officers. I was a very luckily out of the line for a Court Martial and did not go up till the following day. Had a very harsh time and nearly got cut off by the Bosch who are still coming on in numbers. We are now with our divisions fit number, out of the line but expect soon to be used to again.

The King visited us this morning at a few minutes notice and I had the honour of shaking hands with him and showing him round the men. I think he is visiting all troops he can.

Wonder what will be the result of all this?

So long as one is lucky it is all right and the men are all right if looked after, but the shelling and everything is at times indescribable. No doubt the days of peace and quiet are far-off now and one can only hope to keep fit and to try and kill the hated Bosch.

Your affectionate brother

HMC Curtis

post-101105-0-15440100-1376160226_thumb.

• 3 years later...

I have just transcribed some 88 letters my Grandfather Harold Aaron Priestley wrote home. He was a signaller with the 2/6 South Staffs although it seems at some point they had too many signallers so he fought with the infantry. He mentions a 'pal' Lewis which is most likely the Lewis referred to by Steve Favill earlier in this long dead thread. I have some group photos taken while he was in France. He was killed near Bullecourt on 21/3/18.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has interest in the 2/6 south staffs particularly the battles he may have taken part in to cross reference then with his letters all carefully dated.

I don't think Mr Favill is active anymore which is a shame as his great uncles notebook sounds interesting.

•  
Edited by HAP

• 2 years later...

Hi HAP,

1 hour ago, HAP said:

This thread seems long inactive. Is there anyone who has interest in the South Staffs still here

if it counts, I'm interested in all things 59 Division. Especially late 1917 to 21st March 1918.

I see that in Soldiers' Effects Harold is recorded as "death presumed"; and that his family had hoped that he'd been taken PoW.

image.png.58484567404ef3f7baa4182883060370.png

Image sourced from the ICRC

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the response clk. I have not seen the above document before. However I know there was no news of my Grandfather Harold and for a long time Eva his wife hoped he was prisoner but eventually after many (many) months he was officially listed as killed 21.3.18. 

I have all the letters totalling the 88 letters he wrote home. I got involved in a lottery funded initiative and a play for children to perform was written and performed last year. All the letters and other documents were proffesionally preserved and mounted and I have a huge folder with them all in. I transcribed every one and they are recorded as a a PDF file. He mentions being in a big battle and lucky to escape unscathed which I believe was Bourlon Wood. Incidentally I made contact with messers Lewis and Favill and sent them copies of the files. The letters are terribly sad as he misses his infant son, my father so and I still have the silver sixpence he sent him just 2 days before he died. 

Hi,

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 20:30, HAP said:

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has interest in the 2/6 south staffs particularly the battles he may have taken part in to cross reference then with his letters all carefully dated.

Did you manage to cross reference the letters to the various war diaries - Battalion; Brigade; Division, etc? My guess would be that he joined the 13th Battalion Sherwood Foresters circa June 1916, was transferred to the 12th Battalion Training Reserve on 1.9.1916, transferred to the South Staffs for service with the BEF on 10.12.1916, then posted to the 9th Bn on 12.12.1916. By 1.5.1917 he had been posted to the 8th Battalion. This may have happened shortly after arriving in France whilst still at the Infantry Base Depot. His service with the 8th Bn may have ended in February 1918 when the unit was disbanded, and the men sent elsewhere, including the 2/6 South Staffs (4 Officers and 90 Other Ranks joined on the 13th from the 8th Bn).

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

• 3 weeks later...

He was initially in the Notts & Derby regiment and as far as I am aware transferred to the South Staffs while at Brocton and trained as a signaller and went to France in December 1916. I have not cross referenced with the war diaries. Can I get access to the diaries?

Hi HAP,

2 hours ago, HAP said:

Can I get access to the diaries?

Home service units weren't required to keep diaries, but for units serving in France/Flanders the easiest way is to download them from the National Archives (search page here) as they come in a 'chunk' at a time. They are also available on Ancestry (search page here), but you have to download each page as an individual image.

Regards

Chris