Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Nicolas G.

John Keegan "The FWW"

Nicolas G.

Goodday,

I need hints or opinion about a book I may buy :

The big synthesis about ww1 by John Keegan now available in French.

I presently search a satisfying synthesis : overview about the conflict & appreciate a lot "faces of the battle" by the same famous author I own.

Nicolas.

paul guthrie

Keegan is an first rate historian; if you want a good one volume general history this is a good choice.

Language persons, should above be a or an? I think an since it modifies historian. I grew up hearing good English spoken at home and did not see the need to learn rules.

Nicolas G.

Thank you Paul, that's for Xmas !

Clive Maier

If it sounds wrong, it probably is wrong. For me, ‘Keegan is an first rate historian’ looks bad and sounds worse. It is actually quite difficult to say.

‘A’ instead of ‘An’ is perfectly OK with words in which the leading ‘h’ is sounded, like ‘historian’ or ‘hotel’. Indeed, Burchfield’s 3rd edition of Fowler’s Modern English Usage describes ‘an hotel’ as old fashioned but not extinct.

Nicolas G.

What Clive wrote is the English rule tech in classrooms I used to pass. :unsure:

Please... Don't change it, it is one of the few I never forget !!!!!!

;)

Nicolas

paul guthrie

Clive, sounds like a good rule to me, will do.

Clive Maier

Paul,

It is definitely not a rule, more a guide. 'An' is OK and is still in use, but it does seem to be passing away. Constructions like 'an hotel' sound kind of angular and awkward now. I believe the use of 'an' came about when 'hotel' was treated as a French word in which the 'h' was not sounded. The rule on this seems to be that there is no rule. I think it is good enough to rely on the sound.

Regards,

Clive

David Filsell

I rather like the use of an, but fail to understand how the late John Keegan should have been 'modified,' in any way whatsoever!