Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lawson Akehurst Smith - Missing from CWGC

alanh

Have now resubmitted Lawson Akehurst Smith to CWGC.

Details:

Lawson Akhurst Smith

Age at death:33

9th Battalion (Queen Victoria's Rifles) London Regiment

Enlisted: 1 January 1915, London

Date of Death:13 May 1918

Home Department: Board of Trade - Patent Office of Civilian Rank: Second Division Clerk

For two years, Smith served at home with the 9th Battalion London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles) before being sent to France on 2 February 1917. He was there only 5 months, returning on 24 July, having been wounded and shell-shocked. His file describes his military character as "very good, steady and well conducted"; at some stage he had been promoted from Private to Lance Corporal. He was eventually discharged from the Army and confined to a mental home. He died from the effects of throwing himself out of a window while in a state of coma. Lawson Smith was one of several borderline candidates for the Roll of Honour considered by the Board of Trade's War Memorial Committee in 1923. He had not died "on active service", though his death was very clearly a result of the war. The Committee decided that his name should be included, noting that it had already appeared on the Patent Office Memorial 1914-1918, now in Concept House, Newport (Board of Trade Roll of Honour.

Alan

The very best of luck to you. Lets all hope that Lcpl Smith is accepted as an official war casualty.

Jimmy

Good luck and let us know how you get on

to be technically correct - Lance corporal is an appointment

• 2 months later...

Got my second reply from CWGC today Another refusal, despite submission of Pension and Medical Records, which showing that he was discharged due to acute mania and recurring instability attributable to service, combined with Death certificate which lists as cause of death, suicide whilst insane, I would have thought this was clearly attributable to War service. Could Terry possibly help on this one.

Alan

Alan

Firstly, remember that is is MoD who have refused your case.

If you wish to email me the details, I will look at it but no promises. Refused twice is pretty clear.

You, yourself, describe it as a borderline case. Just because one group of people judged it to be one side of the line is no guarantee that another group would not do the opposite.

Terry

Thanks for the offer, will e-mail the details.

First attempt was made just with Death Certificate as backup info, but I thought with the addition of the Pension/Medical records there might be a change of heart.

Alan

I have a recollection that you & I have briefly discussed this case.

I think it was always going to be difficult to make the direct connection between his mental illness that caused the discharge and the actual fall fromthe window while in a coma (even though feelings in our water tell us there's a link).

However, best of luck on the third attempt, it'd be good to see him in from the cold.

John

John

Thanks for best wishes. yes we did speak so time ago about this. It does make clear in his Army Form B179 dated 13 March 1918 (Medical Report on Invalid) that his mental illness was attributable to service ( although there was a mention of constitutional predisposition). Also he was only discharged on 3 April 1918. The ( 13 May 1918) death cert states Suicide whilst Insane.

Alan

Hadn't actually been passed to MOD, but CWGC have now agreed to take another look at this case ( Terry if you had anything to do with this many many thanks).

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have had a message from CWGC, that Ministry of Defence, having examined the non commemoration case of Lance Corporal Smith have agreed that the cause of his death was attributable to his war service and that he should therefore be treated as a war casualty.

Have had a message from CWGC, that Ministry of Defence, having examined the non commemoration case of Lance Corporal Smith have agreed that the cause of his death was attributable to his war service and that he should therefore be treated as a war casualty.

Alan

That's great news. Well done for persevering with your case.

Well done, Alan.

He will get his 'In From the Cold' posting when the formalities are completed and he is 'Gazetted' (ie added to the Debt of Honour database by CWGC).

Well done Alan.

Have you a photo of his headstone (if he has one)? If he hasn't got one the commission will erect one...

Great News.

No, doesn't have a headstone, although as his wife was buried on the same spot some 30 years later, I would have thought there was one at some time. The spot is rather overgrown though and CWGC have already informed me that they will be sending someone alone to the church to make arrangements for a headstone and will be keeping me informed.

No, doesn't have a headstone, although as his wife was buried on the same spot some 30 years later, I would have thought there was one at some time. The spot is rather overgrown though and CWGC have already informed me that they will be sending someone alone to the church to make arrangements for a headstone and will be keeping me informed.

Congratulations again to Alan and the DTI War Memorial Project team, and thanks to Terry and other pals who helped along the way. Does CWGC know that Smith and his wife are buried in the same grave? If it is completely unmarked, I think I'm right in saying (and Terry will no doubt correct me if I'm not) that CWGC will put his wife's details on the bottom of the stone too.

Mick

Mick

CWGC will not engrave the name of any other grave occupant on one of their stones.

However, if the stone is being erected on a private grave, they will allow the relatives to add another name at the bottom at their own cost.

Thanks, Terry. In the absence of relatives, would CWGC allow someone else (eg. the DTI War Memorial Project team and its supporters) to pay for the inscription of details of L A Smith's wife, taken from authoritative docs such as her birth/marriage/death certificate. Also, bearing in mind what you said on another thread recently about 'newly-discovered' commemorations, would the headstone be inscribed with Smith's initials or his forenames in full?

I would say - No Chance. A separate plaque could be placed on the grave with the relatives' permission or that of the cemetery authority if it is a common grave.

I suspect that it will be initials only but the full names will be recorded in the database.

• 3 months later...

Terry

Do you know how long the process usually takes, as I was at least hoping that Lawson would have his name added to database before Rememberance Day.

Thanks

Alan

The grave details will be in the process of being checked.

An Area Inspector has to visit the site and the UK Area Office has to communicate with the cemetery owner. Then the legal boys get involved to get the various permissions as may be required. All this can take a varying time depending on many factors.

Names are usually only added when everything is in place.

I'll see what I can find out.