Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nyasaland Field Force

Terry

I have just won on ebay a single British War Medal to Sister J. Leys. Her MIC indicates that she earned the victory medal as well and that her unit was the Nyasaland Field Force.

Do any of the Pals have information on this organization?

Nyasaland provided troops and a base for the invasion of German East Africa , under General Northey. It may be that Sister Leys was part of the medical / ambulance facilites of this column.

Roop

Dr N M Leys, who is possibly her father, or maybe a brother, can be found on the Internet. He was a graduate of the University of Glasgow

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/honour/brows...end=100&l=L

and a "Maverick civil servant"

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:FjjPj2...=clnk&cd=12

Thanks for the input, Pals. I had come across the doctor's name, and the notation that as a captain in the Nyasaland Field Force he had been mentioned in despatches, and I wondered if he may have ben the husband of the nursing sister. Hadn't considered a brother or father.

Cheers,

Terry

• 3 months later...

Terry

As I've just mentioned the Nyasaland Field Force in a post, I thought I'd offer an additional source:

If you look at the old articles in the The Society of Malawi Journal ( http://www.societyofmalawi.org/index.html ) you might get a little more background for the medal.

Harry

• 5 months later...

Terry

If you haven't come across them already, the Imperial War Museum holds private papers of Mrs. J. Leys.

Try IWM 88/51/1.

You should be able to source a very graphic description of the Karonga battle & the nurses' part in it.

Reards

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

Terry

I can't get a response from you by PM.

I now have a copy of a letter written by Sister J. Leys (wife of Dr. Norman Leys) written just after the Battle of Karonga.

The letter has 14 pages & is explicit about the severity of both the battle & the wounds that Sister Leys saw & dealt with.

This letter can only enhance the importance of the medal you have acquired.

PM me if you would like a copy.

Regards

Harry

• 4 years later...

Hi to all who have made comment on this subject of Dr. N. M. Leys and yes, is his wife Sister J Leys.

As part of my family history I am researching this family as both Dr. leys and self are descended from same background. Have an old family tree drawn up in 1888 and he is listed on it. Naturally I am not but my Grandfather is.

I am pleased Terry you have Medal and Letter for Sister J. Leys, quite envious actually but pleased someone has them. Even a photo or photocopy of letter would be valued by me. {hint]. However my main purpose is to say I have information on this couple and willing to share, as to who they were, when born, married, when and where died etc. also wondering if you, over time have gathered anything else re Norman MacLean Leys and his wife Jane Reid Leys [nee Donald]

Regards

Interloper [Jan]

Jan

Greetings

Details sent by email

Regards Harry

• 10 months later...

Going off at a bit of a tangent, a chap I'm researching, Capt. (Henry) Courtney Brocklehurst was flying nearby in 1917 for RFC 26 (SA) Squadron, though I've found very little about his time there in the war diaries. Now I've just been reading his obituary written by his brother in 1946. This states that Courtney Brocklehurst flew in the Nyasaland Field Force which I gather was under General Northey. Does anyone know if the Flying Section of the Nyasaland Field Force was that just part of the same RFC 26 Squadron or something separate?

Thanks.

Alan

Alan

Greetings

I believe that the planes that supported Northey were detached from 26 Sqn.

I briefly mentioned a plane and crew here:

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-on-land/other-war-theatres/2512-out-on-a-limb-the-road-through-tunduru-german-east-africa-may-to-november-1917.html

If you wish to PM me with an email address I'll send more information and photographs.

Harry

• 7 years later...

Hi all I have joined this forum to try and get more information about my late grandfather Frank Maiden and my two great uncles, his brother John Lefevre Maiden and brother in law Albert Beves Northern. I believe Frank and John went to Nyasaland from the UK as planters... not sure who hired them though. There they met Albert Beves Northern who was my maternal grandmother's brother. I am so curious about their lives  in Nyasaland especially as I was born in Zomba some 43 years after my grandparents got married there. At the time my Dad was with the Rhodesia Nyasaland signals seconded to the 2KAR.

Frank Albert and John were all with the Nyasaland Field volunteers as from 1914. I have an actual letter from my great grandmother dated November 1917 in which she mentions the my grandfather was with the NVR and "currently" stationed at Chinde at the Zambezi mouth.  My grandparents and Albert and his wife moved to South Africa eventually. 

My grandfather Frank is listed on the medal role as both volunteer and lieutenant. From what my late mother used to say about her father, he was in clerical/ bookkeeping roles her whole life and I can't quite picture him in any kind of military capacity although I suppose when duty called, people answered.

I have medal cards from the records at Kew for Frank John and Albert. I would love to know what medals these were and what they looked like.

I need to get a copy of Peter Charlton's book Cinderella's Soldiers as I am very interested in finding out more about the NVR and the role the field forces played in the great war.

I am incredibly curious about my great uncle John LeFevre Maiden who died back in England in 1916. I would love to know if he was injured and/or what lead him to leave Nyasaland in the middle of the great war and return to the UK. I have very scant information on him.

Edited by Gillian Stokes
Adding a little more information

You could read the FIBIS Fibiwiki page East Africa section Records which gives an indication of what is available.

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/East_Africa

For an officer, there is the London Gazette, and Monthly Army Lists, both available online.

For Medals, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Medals

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Medals This includes a link Medals: Imperial Awards: World War One 1914-1918 Department of Defence, Australian Government, which has all the information about WW1 medals.

Also the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Medal Rolls has some general information.

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Medal_Rolls

The Medal Index Cards usually give details of the medals awarded. If you can'r see this, you could attach images which perhaps others may be able to interpret.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you Maureene

Edited by Gillian Stokes
Name spelled wrong

Gillian

The references against Victory, British and 15 Star indicate that each medal was awarded so all three qualified for the trio of medals.

image.png.b915668868eea523c6b8c10af149ddcb.png

[Image from https://www.researchingww1.co.uk/guide-to-british-ww1-medals]

Left to Right...... 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal.

Steve

Edited by SteveE
Image added