Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMHT Dunluce Castle

BJanman

I am researching John Thomas Titcombe of the 6th Royal Munster Fusiliers who died of wounds on the Dunluce Castle on 17th August 1915. I surmise that he was being evacuated on the way to Alexandria, and as he is on the Helles Memorial, I am guessing that he had not long been on board and was probably buried at sea in Gallipoli waters. If anyone who has records of the Dunluce help me to establish when it arrived in Gallipoli, and when it left Gallipoli for Alexandria, that would be great.

Thanks! John's story is here:

http://www.woottonbassettinthegreatwar.uk/john-thomas-titcombe/

I have just established that the Dunluce Castle was in Malta discharging evacuated soldiers on August 12th 1915 - getting closer!

• 1 year later...

Srgt Edward Samuel Lloyd Williams 8th RWF died aboard Hospital Ship Dunlace Castle 8th August 1915  following gunshot wound to his chest received at Anzac Cove. He was buried at sea.

• 2 years later...

My grandfather came from Alexandria to Bristol in May 1918 - he had his leg amputated in Bristol  on 4th May - he was in The 1/4 Cheshire Regiment  - Cyril Ferrand . I have a postcard and all the telegrams from the War Office.

Edited by Guest
Mistake