Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMHT Dunluce Castle

BJanman

Hello John

Many thanks for your posts.

I've been investigating and have found several references to 'Ambulance Transport', and can understand now why HMHT would sometimes be referred to as HMAT, I think. It also looks as if The Dunluce Castle started as a Transport but later changed to a Hospital Ship, I will have a look at the official diaries at Kew. I do also appreciate that authors can report things wrongly, or misinterpret, and that it is important to remember that.

Everybody has been so helpful.

Barbara

Absolutely.

It is possible that I will not get there until February as I have a few projects to finish first, one of which is work related, but I will be going.

I can see from my father's research that war diaries were kept by Hosptial Ships, possibly from 1916, but I do not know if that also means Ambulance Transport ships. I have a lot of questions so am going to find this really interesting.

Barbara

Hi

Just to let you know that I received a copy of the post card. It is hand written but it does state HMAT Dunluce Castle and Marseilles, not Marseilles - France, so is probably Gallipoli.

Problem solved. Although I will still look at the official diaries for The Dunluce Castle when I next go to the National Archive and will post when I've been for anyone who would like information.

Thanks again for everyones help

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I had a great uncle who is one of 7 buried in Gabbralta (excuse spelling). He was in the serwood rangers and would have fought at Gallpoli.

Looking at this thread he could have died on the Dunluce Castle. Does any body know if casulty records for the ship exist. He died 2.9.1915

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My grandfather 2nd lieut Harry Eyre ASC travelled home on the Dunluce Castle at the end of the war. I have a poster he drew advertising caricatures of the passengers to raise funds for the Dunluce Castle Gaming Fund, together with cartoons of them with large heads and small bodies. These are in colour, and A5 size, and are really quite good, as he had trained at art school in Brussels. It would be interesting to trace the subjects, most of them are named in some form or other... if anyone knows of specific passengers i can look to see if they are included.

Sorry pt David Doxey Walker

Sorry for late repliy

Nimmy

I've looked in Marine Deaths for 1915 under WALKER & DOXEY WALKER, but did not find your great uncle.

Kath.

This a quote from a French forum dealing witth hospital ships "

“On 7 October: The Dunluce Castle, English hospital ship from Moudros collects shipwrecked of Admiral Hamelin, it shall leave them in Malta on October 8 at the end of the day” Presumably Admiral Hamelin refers to a Frernch ship sunk during the campaign.

My Grandfather was on the Dunluce Castle 1918 (see previous posts) and did cartoons to raise funds, I have quite a few. He was Lieut Harry Oswald Eyre 570 Company ASC . If there are records of who else was on the ship at that time I could maybe identify some of them. Look in my gallery for examples although I have more

• 7 months later...
Nimmy

I've looked in Marine Deaths for 1915 under WALKER & DOXEY WALKER, but did not find your great uncle.

Kath.

Thank you for looking, again sorry for late reply, i lose my passwords then find them months later!!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My grandfather Harry Percy Walker 3695 11th Batt AIF returned home (Western Australia) on the Dunluce Castle. They left the UK on the “Czarita” and went as far as the Port Said where they rested for 14 days in the sun. The group then joined “Dunluce Castle” on the 16/03/1919 and went thru the Suez Canal and onto to Colombo and spent 2 days there. Whilst travelling from Colombo to Fremantle they celebrated Anzac Day 1919.

Including staff and Sisters there were 789 persons on board

This information I have a small booklet called “Homeward Bound” A souvenir of the return Voyage of some damaged members of the AIF. I have scanned this document and also the Anzac Day 1919 dinner card.

The booklet is delightful showing the “Aussie “sense of humour. I am trying to develop a list of soldiers who were on the voyage. If any of the list members have names of soldiers on this hospital ship leaving 16/03/1919 I would really appreciated hearing from you.

I also wonder if members would like me to put the scanned copy of the souvenir booklet onto the web page.

June

Hi June

I have the Czaritza embarking England on the 16/3/1919 – and after a two week wait at Alexandria, the passengers transferring to the Dunluce Castle on the 7/4/1919, arriving Albany 7/5/1919 – Adelaide 13/5/1919 – Melbourne 15/5/1919 – Sydney 17/5/1919 (disembarked 18th)

Some of those I know of that were on board:

Dvr Frederick Arthur Oataway, 12813, 14th Coy ASC

Pte Edward Charles O’Brien, 4557, 57th Bn

CSM Peter Robertson (DCM), 2434, 56th Bn

Capt Christopher Kenneth Millar (MC), 2nd Bn

Colonel Maudsley (CMG, CBE)

I also have lists of others that I've gathered from newspaper reports - but haven't actually copied them into a database yet.

If you search the following http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home - you should come across them.

And I'd be very interested in seeing a copy of the souvenir booklet.

Cheers, Frev

Good Morning Frev,

Thank you for your tip about the newspaper as a source for information about the Dunluce Castle. Also for the names of some of the soldiers on the ship as it came home to Australia.

I am having a few problems getting the document small enough to attach to the Forum page, but will get it there. I will be interested in hearing your comments on “Home Bound”

I also have some old picture postcards from Ceylon I am guessing they must be c 1919.

They could be 1915 as my grandfather left from Fremantle in November 1915 and his troop ship may have called into Ceylon.

Best wishes

June

Good Morning Frev,

Here is the image of booklet "Homewould Bound" published on the Dunluce Castle

I will needed to do several attachments sorry it took a while but here they are

June

post-43423-1273967001.jpg

Frev,

I have in correctly spelt the name of the document I have attached it is called "Homeward Bound" not Homewould as stated earlier , so to more of the document.

June

post-43423-1273967868.jpg

To Frev,

The last part of the document, there is also the Anzac Day 1919 Lunch Menu to send.

thank you and I hope you enjoy reading this

June

post-43423-1273968233.jpgpost-43423-1273968233.jpg

Hello Frev,

I note that I have doubled up with some of these documents a "oops" my apologies it makes me wonder what I was doing incorrectly when I was trying to attach documents before

best wishesJune

Thank you for sharing June - a little hard on the eyes - but I'll persist! :thumbsup:

Both the booklet & the menu look to be in very good condition - a wonderful keepsake.

All the best with tracing all those on board.

Cheers, Frev