Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graze no 1 fuse

KIRKY

Hi

a few weeks ago I asked the question about this fuse I got from The Somme a few years ago.

I was worried about its safety and a few of you noble men suggested I got in touch with my local police. ( some suggested I dismantle the fuse myself!!!)

After careful consideration I did this and was advised by the phone lady to bring it along to the station that evening when it was quite.

I did this and boy did it start some panic!!

They really did not know what to do and were at one stage thinking about closing down the station and clearing surrounding areas!! This is a large station.

Eventually I spoke to a "high up" officer who had been in touch with a firearms expert and it was decided to store it safely until the morning when they would take further advice.

As I was leaving the station I saw this same officer take the fuse to the far corner of the police car park and leave it in the corner by the bins!

I would love to know what happened to it but did not want to go back in.

I must say that I am happy I took your advice but it was VERY nerve racking going in and facing the policeman and their confusion. I will never keep any such object in the future!!!

Thanks for your advice and thought I would share outcome.

• 1 month later...
Guest private, 2nd worch. btn.

just as a small answer: I live in Belgium, in the Geluveld area.

I followed the article you posted with amusement, because in the 10 years that I've been diggin' such things up, I never knew what danger was in those nr100 fuses.

I've decided after a while that it was time to start clearing up my garage and get rid of the nr100 fuses.

I've looked in all of my buckets filled with fuses, and came to the astonishing amounto of 1122 nr100 fuses (yes, a thousand twohundred and twentytwo of'em :o ).

I've called the bombs disposal unit (who I am very very familiar with), and they came and picked them up. And you don't want to know how we treat these fuses (for the curious people: we throw them from about 10to15metres in a wheelbarrow, and then just tipped it over in the truck :D )

just to let you know that these things are lethal, and will always be. But as long if you don't hammer on them, or so, they just remain as they were for the last 90 years. (if you ever find one on the somme, look very carefull on it: it says nr100 or nr101 fuse on it. The nr101 fuse is of a better quality, and should be safe if you find one).

Hello,

The fuses (British) after they have exploded are totally harmless! I know it because my brother cleans them (throwing them in the fire etc.).

Of course fuses that were removed from unexploded shells can still be dangerous.

Jan

The fuse mentioned by Kirky still had the gain intact, which is why it was dangerous. I am very glad to read he acted in this sensible manner.

It is a sobering warning to all those who collect items from battlefields that no item is 'safe' simply because many people have examples of ones which are.

:o

Thanks to the help from people like Paul Reed I now sleep better at night!!

Still suprised to get comments like the posting about putting fuses on fires and a previous guy who suggested I took the fuse to pieces!!!

I still have all limbs intact and a wife who lets me indulge in my hobby!!

Will always look on the Somme fields for relics but will NEVER bring back anything which I am not sure about.

I would also recommend this attitude to all collectors as we can never be totally sure about some of the relics.

I heard of a couple of guys on the Somme who pick up all grenades, put them in a vice to break the casing to remove the brass plate!!! This seems a little bit dangerous to me.

Happy New Year to all and please leave some beer in Tommies for Clive and I in March and some scrap to find on the fields!

Tony