Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Philip George Hussey

InSouthsea

I came across this memorial (link below - I haven't worked out how to post images yet) on a grave in Highland Road Cemetery, Portsmouth. It appears to be unrelated to other names on the headstone. I've checked the CWGC and found 106 men named Hussey but none of them died on June 18th 1919. I'm concerned that even though it says he died on "Active Service" there is no mention of his unit. He is said to be buried in Archangel. Is this a suitable case for research?

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/ce...ussey-small.jpg

Tim

There could be many explanations....

Firstly, gravestones are sadly unreliable in correct detail on many occasions. Relatives often got details wrong - such as date of death - or were misinformed (plus stonemason's errors).

1) You do not mention the main name on the grave. HUSSEY could be a forename. Many graves do not mention the surname again for subsequent burials or commemorative inscriptions such as this.

2) He could be a Mercantile Marine man who did not qualify for war grave status (died due to non-war causes).

3) The relatives could have been loose with their description of 'active service' especially if there was a long war record.

4) He could be a non-commemorated man.

5) He could have served under another name.

There is no Philip G Hussey listed in the GRO Army & Naval Overseas Death Index 1914-1921 and so he looks doubtful as a candidate - though this does not list Mercantile Marine men.

You need to establish who he is and how he died.

Thanks Terry, I figured that may be the case. Unfortunately I don't have time right now to follow up on each of those possibilities, but it'll definitely remain in my 'pending' tray.

Best wishes

Tim

• 13 years later...

Philip G Hussey was Merchant Navy, SS Hova, born in Bombay and lived at 18 Cranbourne Gardens, Hendon. He died at Archangel, Russia, on 18 June 1919 from a "bullet through brain". I don't know if it's significant, but I note that the register doesn't use the word "suicide" as it does for a subsequent entry.

BMD_MTM_BT334_0074_001-449.jpg.3aadd6c12c15ee2a7df8324720b9dfee.jpg

How interesting Paul, may I ask the location of the register?

I would be interested in looking up the entries for several other MMR men who died in North Russia 1918-19.

Intriguing that Hussey is not listed on CWGC, other MMR casualties in North Russia are listed but they were buried in Archangel Allied Cemetery, I expect Hussey may have died at sea, and was buried at sea and missed by CWGC.

It's from the "British Armed Forces And Overseas Deaths And Burials" set of records on Find My Past.