Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd London Regiment

Johnyeates

Neil,

Great photo. Good to see a clear 142nd Brigade patch there too.

I concur with Steve. Looks like 4907 Arthur Baxter is our man.

He served with 1/23rd London and entered France on 14th August 1916, remaining with the battalion (or at least not leaving France) until 22nd March 1918. It doesn't appear that his papers have survived but using some of his colleagues I can give a likely timeline for him.

His number suggests that he was enlisted in mid December 1915 but he would have remained at home and wouldn't have joined the 2/23rd London until March 1916 when called up. He trained in England and crossed to France in a draft on 14th August, probably joining 1/23rd in the draft of 101 men on 19th August, just in time for the battalion's involvement on the Somme. It looks like he left the battalion just before the German Spring Offensive in 1918.

He might have been wounded on 21st March 1918 as the battalion moved up around Metz Switch, although I'm not sure if he could have got back to England in a day or so from there. There were some working parties involved in the early part of March but none of them seem to have suffered any casualties (at least from the records I have at present- I have yet to check Brigade or Division papers) and the nearest mention of casualties before the 21st was 10th Feb, so 21st may be the likeliest day.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

• 1 year later...

I am trying to find more information about my great grandfather who served with the 23rd Londonn Regt. 4616 Pte E.N.Fowler. He was injured 3 times (all head wounds) in his time in France the last being a bullet to his forehead.

As I am struggling with the info I have I know he was a regular in the 21st Lancers in Africa and Europe and am not sure if his army no. I have is from there or the Londons ?

• 10 years later...

Hi all

My Great uncle Pte Arthur Kidd born in Battersea  was with the 23rd Battalion County of London regiment. He was kia on 26 May 1915 age 19 at Festubert and has is name carved on a panel at Le Touret Memorial. He also has his name on a memorial at St Mary’s Church, Battersea. 
Sadly I have no photo of him. 

Russell,

If nobody in the family has a photo of him I would suggest looking at the local newspapers of the day. Some of the local papers were very good at publishing photos of soldiers from their area. However some were not, but it's worth a try?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Hi Kev

I have quite a bit of  information and various sources of family ancestors and their military/civilian life but It’s my Father’s side of the family that lacks photos. 
My 2nd great grandfather, Pte George William Edgecock and two of his sons, Alfred and George Edwin Edgecock were R.M.L.I. Ch Div and his third son Royston  was a Stoker. I have quite a bit of information regarding their family and  copies of their military papers but no photos. 
And the Kidds, my Dads Mothers maiden name, Pte Arthur Kidd, 23rd Battalion London regiment and his two brothers George Kidd, Devonshire regiment and Harry William Kidd of the 10th Queen’s Royal West Surrey regiment. Again quite a bit of military and family sources, again no photos. 

I’ll certainly look into your advice and hopefully come up with at least one photo. 

Thankyou Kev much appreciated 

Regards 

Russ 

Russ,

Good luck with your search. It may be possible that Battersea has a local history centre/library where copies of the local papers may be stored (possibly on microform). Failing that it may be worth checking with the British Library once the lockdown eases?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane 

Kev

I believe they have. I know we can do so much on line these days and l have joined various sites to discover some of what I have. Also, I’ve been lucky enough to be handed some fabulous original documentation by my parents even a Queen Mary tin belonging to Arthur Kidd and a sweetheart brooch belonging to my 2nd great grandmother Charlotte Edgecock both given to me years ago by my Dad. They were both stuck in a drawer for years until I understood their importance. 

Looking forward to when lockdown ends and things get back to some normality as I do like to actually visit places,such as libraries, it’s a good day out. 

regards 

Russ