Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Caricatures Help

ejcmartin

The number was lowered aages ago. It is either one or two poata now.

Dear Gardenerbill.

Many thanks for your help and the useful suggestion.  Unfortunately 'ecmartin' is 'unable to take messages'.  Oh well, worth a try!

cheers

Duncan

Further thoughts on J B Melhuish's 'cartoon'.  At the time I put down my first idea about it, I hadn't noticed that it was dated March 1918, which would, of course, make it too early for the Armistice Commission.  However, reading the various posts that others have written, I am struck by the fact that so many of those whose names people have been able to decipher on the un-enlargeable image were, or perhaps later became, attached to 'Signals' in some way.  Was this 'cartoon' then a record of some sort of 'conference' or grand pow-wow of the signallers attached to the various units from which they all came?

Lt. J.B. Melhuish, incidentally, was one of the founder members of the TocH Club and did some wonderful 'caricatures' of his fellow members.  There is, online, a photograph which purports to show him with his second wife, the actress Voilet (nee Digby).  However, I will lay you evens that the figure in the fetching little pillbox hat, the tights and the frou-frou skirt is none other than the sometime Lt. Melhuish himself!  It's those cheekbones, you see....

'I went to a marvellous party, couldn't have loved it more....'

Thanks,

Duncan