Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Canadian Hospital Le Treport

corinne mills

Corinne.

I can see by the cap badges in the picture that there where british troops there as well.

Cheers Rob.

This snippet from the Hospital War Diary gives some totals from 1916. We see that 95 per cent of admissions were non-Canadian. There was some public discontent in Canada that Canadians were not always treated in Canadian hospitals and there were efforts made to fix this up. However, it is difficult to run a war that way. Casualties were sent to the fclosest facility that had space. Canadian hospitals in France treated mostly non-Canadians. Most canadian casualties in France were treated in non-Canadian hospitals. Once back in England, they were sorted out a bit better.

Or so it seems to me.

post-75-1168290310.jpg

Here are some recommended websites to check out. Borden Battery

War Story of the Canadian Army Medical Corps

This is a very comprehensive "on-line" book on the Canadian Army Medical Corps during the Great War. This on-line book of some 300 pages [with text, figures and footnotes] includes the following chapters an Introduction, Rise of the CAMC, Assembly at Valcartier, Salisbury Plain, With the BEF in France, Second Battle of Ypres (Gas), Festubert, Givenchy, Plugstreet, Establishment of Hospitals in France, Stationary Hospitals and Other Medical Units. [Recommendation by marc leroux / www.canadianGreatWarProject.com][CEF Study Group - Jan 2006]

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/adami/camc/camc.html

Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations – BEF

The website includes eighteen direct photostats of documents, dated 13th. July 1923 which were sent from the Ministry of Pensions to the British Red Cross Society Records Office. Theses typed pages give the names of the locations, in alphabetical order, dates and positions of the various Hospitals or Casualty Clearing Stations on the Western Front for the British Expeditionary Force. The names of these medical units are as follows: Bac-Du-Sud-La to Boisleux-au-Mont, Bonn to Bussy - Le- Chateau. Calais to Chocques. Clerques to Don, Duai to Etaples, Etaples to Gezaincourt, Gezaincourt to Hazebrouk, Hazebrouk to Le Quesnoy, Le Touquet to Lozinghem, Mallasise to Moulle, Namps to Paris Plage, Pernes to Recmenil Farm, Remy to Roziere, Rouitz to Sweveghem,Tincourt to Versailles. This material may be of use to researchers trying to verify hospital and CCS locations. [CEF Study Group – Updated Aug 2006]

http://www.vlib.us/medical/CCS/ccs.htm

The Call to Duty - Canada's Nursing Sisters

This Library and Archives Canada exhibition tells the story of six women who served as nursing sisters during the First World War. "Active Duty" presents the personal diaries, letters and photographs of these women. "Caregiving on the Front" provides a history of nursing sisters during the First World War. Specific sections of the website include: Introduction, The Canadian Army Nursing Corps: Brief History of the Military Nursing Service, The Canadian Army Nurses: Who Were They, Enlistment, The Work of Military Nurses: Living Conditions, Working Conditions, Professional Relations and Social Life and Conclusion

[Recommendation by Nelson][CEF Study Group - Jan 2006]

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/nursing-sisters/index-e.html

• 13 years later...

Does the number 2 Canadian General Hospital still exist in Le Tréport? My great uncle was a stretcher bearer there and if it still stands I would like to see it.

I suspect not. The 3 British General Hospital in Trianon Hotel, top right corner in this map, was demolished (I think by bombing) in the Second World War, and from what I remember reading online somewhere the grassy cliff top is now mostly empty.

2 Canadian General is marked to the lower right. Some information about it here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/Documents/canadian army medical corps.pdf

LeTreport.jpg

Edited by seaJane