Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boy Scouts in WW1

Geert Spillebeen

Been researching in local newspaper and came across Boy Scouts and Sea Scouts being stationed here.

Was going to start a post and ask about this, thanks for appearing today.

From what I read it appears they attended fires along with the fire brgade of the time, 1915.

Now I know what I wanted.

Billy

On 08/01/2007 at 07:05, Geert Spillebeen said:

Hi,

I am still a rookie on this forum.

I am leading a research about the link between <u>WW1 and the First Boy Scouts</u>.

As you may know 2007 is the 100th anniversary of the first Boy Scout Camp, a test camp in august 1907 on Bronwsea Island. Baden Powell took some 20 boys to that camp to test his scouting theories.

Some of these boys died a few years later during WW1 in Flanders & France.

I have quite a bit of information about some of them, BUT NO PICTURES.

Could someone <u>help me find photographs </u> of :

2LT M.C.Wroughton, 12 Royal Lancers, died 30 Oct.1914

2LT W.F.Rodney, Rifle Brigade (att. to Royal Flying Corps), died 9 May 1915

2LT Marc A.P. Noble, Royal Field Artillery, 1 July 1917

Any information is welcome.

Greets, GEERT

Geert,

I have a special limited edition sheet of British stamps issued in 2007 to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Brownsea Island Scout Camp.

Only 400 sheets were issued in 2007.

Regards,

Leo

post-63666-0-18197600-1329596167.jpg

Here is an excellent 1918 photograph of a Boy Scout with his RAF sergeant dad.

It clearly shows the Boy Scout's 1918 uniform.

LF

post-63666-0-17068600-1329602515.jpg

Adding to LFs post there were certainly Boy Scouts on board HMHS BRITANNIC on it's journeys to and fro the Eastern Med. They ran errands,operated lifts etc.

My over-the-road neighbour's father was one of them and somewhere he has a photo of them and a postcard as a souvenir from the ship.

Sotonmate

George Taylor aged 15, the only British Boy Scout killed by enemy action in WW1 :-

" In the coastal town of Scarborough, the British wireless station was capable of using radio signals to find German warships. On 16 December 1914, one week after Baden-Powell had visited the local Scout Troop, German warships bombarded the town. A 15-year old Boy Scout named George Taylor was one of the casaulties. Another Scout, named Roy Miller had been on duty with the coast guard at the time and sustained serious leg injuries, but stayed on duty until the bombardment had ended.

After the bombardment the Scouts took over the delivering of messages from the wireless station and also the administration of first aid to wounded soldiers at the local garrison. At the train station, Scouts helped the conductors managed the panicked passengers. All Boy Scouts of the Scarborough Troop were awarded the Kings Own Badge for their outstanding service. "

post-63666-0-07928200-1329671693.jpg

The outrage felt following the many deaths, including woman and children, caused by the German naval bombardment of Scarborough and other coastal towns, resulted in stong sentiment aimed at military recruitment.

post-63666-0-95277900-1329672134.jpg

post-63666-0-55047600-1329672255.jpg

I have a picture of one of my Group's Scouts, Reginald Leslie Showan, on the day he joined up in 1914, with his brother Ian, in his Scout uniform and their mother.

100_1969-Medium.jpg

Reg was 'blown to bits' (as his niece told me) on 26/04/1917 and he's commemorated on the Arras Memorial and my Scout Group's Memorial (amongst others).

Ian never served in WW1 and was a headmaster of a local school in WW2 and lived until the late 1980's.

I have a picture of one of my Group's Scouts, Reginald Leslie Showan, on the day he joined up in 1914, with his brother Ian, in his Scout uniform and their mother.

100_1969-Medium.jpg

Reg was 'blown to bits' (as his niece told me) on 26/04/1917 and he's commemorated on the Arras Memorial and my Scout Group's Memorial (amongst others).

Ian never served in WW1 and was a headmaster of a local school in WW2 and lived until the late 1980's.

I Write from Fiji, I am doing research on Sydney Frank Marlow who started the first scout troop in Fiji in 1914, he had been a scout leader with Mansfield troop prior to coming out to Fiji, we have a photo of SFM with his first troop, he left Fiji with a group of volunteers to join up with the British Army in 1916 and was killed at the Somme in 1917.

He is recorded on the rolls of honor here in Fiji, we also have a photo of Fiji scouts presenting a flag to the Mansfield Scouts dated 1929 in his memory, these would have been the 6 scouts that attended the world Jamboree in the UK that year, I am told and am trying to get a copy of a photo of him in the UK prior to going over to France.

Fiji Scouting would like to give full recognition to SFM for his work with our Centenary coming up in late 2014, if you would like copies of the photos we have or want to contact me, email >thomsarchery@connect.com.fj< any info on his grave or anything else would be highly appreciated, Michael Thoms

I would like to put up a photo of Sydney Frank Marlow with the scouts in his first and Fiji's first scout troop, How do I add a photo, at 70 i am still learning, regards Michael Thoms

Michael

Here the page from Commonwealth War Graves. The Thiepval Memorial, as he has no known grave:

http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/804621/MARLOW%20SYDNEY%20FRANK

A short way down the screen on the left is "view certificate",click there.

Sotonmate

PS. He was with 1 Battalion KRRC,part of 99 Brigade of 2 Division. He was killed at the Actions of Miraumont 17-18 Feb 1917,see here for some detail:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74504

Michael

Here the page from Commonwealth War Graves. The Thiepval Memorial, as he has no known grave:

http://www.cwgc.org/...0SYDNEY%20FRANK

A short way down the screen on the left is "view certificate",click there.

Sotonmate

PS. He was with 1 Battalion KRRC,part of 99 Brigade of 2 Division. He was killed at the Actions of Miraumont 17-18 Feb 1917,see here for some detail:

http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=74504

My sincere thanks, we have made a lot of progress, thank you Sotonmate

From Michael Thoms

Michael,

have you been in touch with the Scout Association's archive at Gilwell? If Sydney was active in Scouting before he moved to Fiji, they may have something on him. It's also possible that if he helped set up Scouting in Fiji, there may have been correspondence with the then Imperial Headquarters in London.

The archive's website is http://www.scoutsrecords.org and the contact details are on there.

YIS

Nick

Michael,

have you been in touch with the Scout Association's archive at Gilwell? If Sydney was active in Scouting before he moved to Fiji, they may have something on him. It's also possible that if he helped set up Scouting in Fiji, there may have been correspondence with the then Imperial Headquarters in London.

The archive's website is http://www.scoutsrecords.org and the contact details are on there.

YIS

Nick, thanks again Michael

Hi Nick, am working with various parties on this line of inquiry, I will though follow through on the contact you have provided, I have had fantastic input from persons on this forum, I also have an entry under Fiji Soldier and this has provided valuable info

Hi Nick, am working with various parties on this line of inquiry, I will though follow through on the contact you have provided, I have had fantastic input from persons on this forum, I also have an entry under Fiji Soldier and this has provided valuable info

Glad you're finding lots of useful stuff!

I forgot to mention that if you ask the archive people they will add your chap to the SA's WW1 Roll of Honour.

YIS

Nick

I forgot to mention that if you ask the archive people they will add your chap to the SA's WW1 Roll of Honour.

YIS

Nick

Thanks Nick, I have emailed them and once we have a reply I will follow that course of action, If I knew how to do it I would add a wonderful photo I have of Sydney with the first scout troop here in Fiji, regards Mike T

During the German Gotha bombing raids over London, Boy Scouts assisted with messenger duties. The photograph shows Boy Scouts receiving instructions at their local Police Station.

post-63666-0-74059400-1330530934.jpg

YIS

Nick

Nick, got news in from Archives over night and details of the warrant he held in the UK prior to coming out to Fiji, he was warranted in 1911, they cannot tell me what troop, and they have confirmed he is going on the roll of hoour, I am so very pleased, they tell me that while it is anecdotal, they believe he met with BP prior to leaving the UK for Fiji, told BP he was heading that way and was instructed to start scouting here, we now know he was the secretary of Scouting Fiji in 1915..

On another tangent , I am working with a group of Explorers from Boreatton Explorers, Shropshire Borders, Shropshire, we have 2 Leaders and 8 explorers visiting this August after they attend the Jamboree in Japan, I am doing the organizing on the ground this end, have a lot of expierence in setting up like visits.

Just in case you would like to communicate other than this Forum, my email >thomsarchery@connect.com.fj<, once again thanks for your help, if I have your email I will send you a photo of Sydney Marlow with his original scouts here in Fiji YIS Skip

Geert - do you have a complete list of all those who attended this camp, and do you know if there is a 'Scouts Roll of Honour' for WW1?

Hi Paul, I don't see anyone answer your query abut a Scout Roll of Honor for WW1, I can confirm that there is one, I have just had the pleasure of having a name added so I am really delighted, contact archives section Gil well house London and they will take you forward.

If you cannot connect as suggested then come back and I will give you the email and name of the person I am dealing with, do it as it is worthwhile, they are great people and very helpful

YIS

Mike

A bit far from London and Fiji, but here in British Columbia, a Scout on sentry duty in 1916 spotted a forest fire in cottage country near the border and raised the alarm. At the time it was thought an infiltrator from the south had set the blaze.

That is a nice piece of memrobilla

WW1 Recruiting Poster.

That is a nice piece of memorabilia, made it look like a fun jaunt to France and other places!!

Mike from Fiji Scouts

A bit far from London and Fiji, but here in British Columbia, a Scout on sentry duty in 1916 spotted a forest fire in cottage country near the border and raised the alarm. At the time it was thought an infiltrator from the south had set the blaze.

Really not that far, most of our soldiers at the time of WW1 went to the UK via Vancouver, then by rail to Halifax and then on by sea to England, I have a loverly photo of our 1st Reinforcements on board the vessel Grampian having sailed from Halifax for the UK, Regards Mike

Really not that far, most of our soldiers at the time of WW1 went to the UK via Vancouver,

Yes Mike, there's the semifamous photo of the Fijiians in Vancouver's Stanley Park, taking a break enroute to Halifax.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2007&st=0&p=13644&hl=fiji&fromsearch=1entry13644

• 6 months later...

to JUNE UNDERWOOD:

I have 1 photo of Bob Wroughton. Young officer, dark moustache, officer's cap. In a shady ellipse. The same?

If you like, I can send pictures of his headstone etc..

GEERT