Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Cunynghame Slade-Baker, Lieutenant, Royal Berkshire Regiment

InSouthsea

I am trying to identify the names on the Portsmouth Cathedral WW1 Memorial at the request of the Cathedral authorities. They are raising funds to restore the memorial but some of the names are too badly eroded. Research from the Parish Magazine of 1919 gives most of the names, one of whom is Robert Cunynghame Slade-Baker, Lieutenant, Royal Berkshire Regiment who died on 19/08/1917 and is buried at Beuvry Communal Cemetery Extension, Pas De Calais. Robert was the son of Brig. Gen. Arthur Slade Baker and Caroline Fisher his wife, of Peans Wood, Robertsbridge, Sussex. His name also appears on the WW1 Memorial outside St Judes Church on Kent Road, Southsea so the family must have had a close connection with Portsmouth but we can find no trace of them. Can anyone help?

This information may be of interest to you.

Robert did not attend Marlborough College however two of his brothers did.

From the Marlborough College Register (1935) which records the fathers address at the time a boy was at the College:

John Bigelow SLADE-BAKER

son of Brig.Gen.A. Slade-Baker. CMG of Robertsbridge, Sussex

b. 29.7.1896

Marlborough Sept.1909 to Easter 1913

Great War: RMC Sandhurst - Oxford & Bucks LI

Lieut. 1916 Captain 1919

9th. Hodson's Horse 1919

RAOC 1923

Major 1933

Deputy Assistant Director Ordnance Services, HQ London District 1934

Home: 9 Vanburgh Park, Blackheath

Later Colonel. Retired 1947 and from 1952-60 Middle East Correspondent of the Sunday Times d.1966

Arthur Gwynne Broome SLADE-BAKER

son of Brig.Gen. Slade-Baker CMG of Southsea

b.4.6.1903

Marlborough May 1917 to Mid 1919

Manufacturers Agent - North London Crystalite Co.

Home: Peans Wood, Robertsbridge, Sussex

Could the General have had a war-time appointment in the Portsmouth Area?

This site to which I have no connection appears to have a photo of R.C.Slade-Baker for sale:

http://www.ww1photos.com/RoyalBerksRegt.html

Dave

In Southsea

Another small nugget of info for you ! A plaque exists at the Fort Brockhurst store. See:

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/ch...slade-baker.htm

There is also an extract from the Berkshire's War Dairy explaining the days up to his death and the granting of a Military Cross for his exploits.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

The Times of Nov 28th 1917 has a small article on Lady Smith Dorrien's work providing "Chintz bags for the wounded" – to collect together the treasures/letters/pay book/photos etc of the wounded so they could be kept together and transported with them when they were moved to other hospitals

This article mentions a "collecting depot" – Mrs Slade Baker, Broadlands, Grove Road (South) Southsea

I found a website - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.pomeroy/index.htm that has a lot about the local history of this area - this suggests "Broadlands" was number 7 Grove Road

Just a small thing - but might help you on your way???

Cheers

Sue

1901 Census the family were in Plumstead as follows:

295, Eglinton Road, Plumstead

Arthur S. Baker, Head, aged 37, Major Royal Artillery, Born St Helier, Jersey

Caroline Baker, Wife, aged 34, Born Philidelphia USA

Robert C Baker, Son, aged 4, Born Valetta, Malta

John B Baker, Son, aged 4, Born Valetta, Malta

It would appear that Robert Cunynghame and and John Bigelow were twins born on 29th July 1896 in Valetta, Malta.

Pam

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions, but I have to start with a BIG apology - especially to Sotonmate for pointing out the plaque at the Fort Brockhurst store. The site you quote is actually mine and I did the research at Fort Brockhurst. It just didn't occur to me to check my own records. The plaque does of course confirm that Slade-Baker had strong local connections but it doesn't help with identifying his address.

The article quoted by Esskay is really useful as that does help with an address I can identify. Also, in connection with Mrs Slade-Baker, we discovered today from the Parish Magazine for the Cathedral (it was still a Parish Church in 1919) that she was a Church Helper - arranging flowers etc., so I think all this just about nails my man.

Again many thanks.

Tim

• 1 year later...
Guest cunnynghame
I am trying to identify the names on the Portsmouth Cathedral WW1 Memorial at the request of the Cathedral authorities. They are raising funds to restore the memorial but some of the names are too badly eroded. Research from the Parish Magazine of 1919 gives most of the names, one of whom is Robert Cunynghame Slade-Baker, Lieutenant, Royal Berkshire Regiment who died on 19/08/1917 and is buried at Beuvry Communal Cemetery Extension, Pas De Calais. Robert was the son of Brig. Gen. Arthur Slade Baker and Caroline Fisher his wife, of Peans Wood, Robertsbridge, Sussex. His name also appears on the WW1 Memorial outside St Judes Church on Kent Road, Southsea so the family must have had a close connection with Portsmouth but we can find no trace of them. Can anyone help?

Guest cunnynghame

I have read with interest your request for more information regarding Lt. Robert Cunnynghame Slade-Baker. This soldier was my uncle, my father being the late Arthur Slade-Baker. I have in my possession 2 Photographs in uniform taken a few weeks before he died while on home leave due to an injury recieved at the Hohenzollern redoubt. I also have letters to his parents from various War Office departments detailing the circumstances of his death and his bravery. should any of the above still be of interest to you you can email me at js-b@telkomsa.net