Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carman

Guest FrankCarman

Guest FrankCarman

Hello Everyone!

My Grandfather Frank Carman served in the Royal Engineers.

I hope you can help me get started in my research, which I hope to continue at PRO.

His medals include The 1914-15 Star, with the inscription on the back, 41527, SAPR, R.E., F. Carman.

A Ministry of Pensions document, dated 1924, states Lancs Royal Engineers.

I have checked the site's pages on Royal Engineers, but unable to find any reference.

Please can anyone provide any information.

Thanks

Frank

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mike Barry

As you have his Number, Rank and Name, there are several ways to gather further information.

RE Museum

Chatham

Kent

It may cost you and can take some time.

Visit the PRO now known as the The National Archives

Kew

London

You can get a readers ticket and look up the details in the various sources available.

If you live a distance away from London them you may be able to get the services of a 'Researcher'.

These can be found in the Monthly periodical called 'Medal News' available at most large newsagents.

Hope this will help.

Frank

I wouls suspect that he was in the REs which were part of 42nd (East Lancashire) Division TF. See elsewhere on this site for what the Division's history and RE units within it.

Charles M

Dear Frank,

My family is from Scholar Green, north of Stoke. At least one great uncle (Bill) served in the East Lancs, though for some reason Grandad Percy was in the Grenadier Guards. The other brothers were Lou Fred and Jack. What do you think? Might we have a Carman or two in common?

Rob Carman.