Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Berkshire Cap Badge

Gary Samson

Other than some additional ageing, are there any differences in design between the cap badge worn by The Royal Berkshires in the Great War and that worn in WWII?

Gary

Guest A Mafia Man

Hi Gary

I have looked at a few examples that I have, & I can see no discernable differences between the badges.

I believe that the differences with this regiment is not so much in the style or design of the badge, but more to do with the title of the regiment itself.

I'm not too sure of the exact dates, but up to the 1920's the title of the regiment was 'Princess Charlotte Wales's (Royal Berkshire Regiment)'.

Then from the 1920's it became 'The Royal Berkshire Regiment ('Princess Charlotte Wales's)'

Then of course from 1958 it disappeared into the Wessex Brigade & remained hidden from view like many other county regiments, until 'Options For Change' when it re-emerged as part of the Royal Gloucestershire Berkshire & Wiltshire Regt, (Affectionately reffered to as the 'M4 Rifles')

It is in this latter part of it's history that changes to it's cap badges are to be seen.

Hope this helps

Joe ;)

...until 'Options For Change' when [The Royal Berkshire Regiment] re-emerged as part of the Royal Gloucestershire Berkshire & Wiltshire Regt, (Affectionately reffered to as the 'M4 Rifles')

Thanks for this, Joe. I couldn't see any differences on several images I'd found on the web but thought I'd check just in case I'd missed something. Interesting how local regiments pick up their nicknames. The Royal Berkshires were affectionately known as 'The Biscuit Boys', Huntley and Palmers having the largest biscuit factory in England at Reading.

Thanks again

Gary