Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries Archive

Andrew Hesketh

Just a thought - which may have been discussed on the forum before, in which case apologies for bringing it up.

Chris has started including war diary extracts on the site, which is a welcome idea. I know that loads of us have parts of war diaries (or in some cases complete ones). Could we therefore, with Chris's (is that correct punctuation? I was always hopeless with apostrophes) permission, develop an archive on this site? Is this okay legally (i.e. are there copyright problems)?

Alternatively how about a page listing who's got what and is willing to do look ups for others? For those of us too far from the PRO for easy visits this could be a real boon.

Any thoughts?

All the best,

Andrew

(with complete 1/7th Sherwood Foresters diary and bits of most other SF battalions)

Andrew

Good idea. I have copies from the PRO of various Corps, Division, Special Bde R.E. and Brigade Diaries covering the period from mid July, 1916 to mid September, 1916 for the actions in and around High Wood.

Regards

Terry

FAO Chris Baker. Apologies. I should really have contacted you directly with this idea rather than slapping it all over the forum. Wouldn't like you to think this is some sort of hijack attempt!

Andrew

I think it's a great idea. I just need to figure out how we can best do it. I'll need to play around with it a little, but look out for a new section to appear on the forum. Obviously, all ideas welcome.

Top man that Chris Baker chap. This is an excellent idea - we'll be able to go straight to various horses mouths. I've got a 17th Manchesters as & when we're ready

John

B)

I've got the 23rd Londons on the run up to the Festubert attack on the 25th May 1915...

Simon

I have every unit in the 56th London Division plus some Corps artillery for the two months before the 1st July 1916 attack on Gommecourt.

In response to this discussion thread, the War Diary section of the Document Repository is now open. Let's give it a try. I leave it entirely up to you if you just tell people you have a diary, or (if you have a soft copy) if you cut and paste it into your post, or if you have a URL pointing to it.

Wow!! All I did was have an idle muse on Sunday afternoon about the usefulness of an archive and within two days Chris has sorted it all out!! Is this the best website ever?

Thanks Chris!

All the best,

Andrew

This is maybe a little bit off-topic but there is a French website that is slowly building up a scanned collection of French regimental histories. There aren't very many on line yet but it's growing. The URL is:http://www.1914-18.org/~historiques/#infanterie

French regimental histories don't in any way compare with German ones and obviously not with war diaries either but it might be a useful address for someone sometime.

Christina Holstein

Great Idea!

I've got the 42nd Battalion, Royal Highlanders of Canada for Sept. 1916. The 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles for much of 1916 and 1917. The 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion (British Columbia) for most 1916-1918. 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regt. for Gallipoli August 8th 1915. 1st Bn. Inniskilling Fus. for July 1st 1916. 1st Manchesters for March 1916 (Mespot) 28th Battalion Canadian Infantry for their attack at Passchendale November 6th 1917. And many more.

Great ideas and I think it is of particular importance for us "colonial's" who do not have the access to the PRO and other such facilities, as our friends in the home countries. How I would love to be able to hop on the train and go down to some place where I can search the records. It would be great if I could get access on-line to the war diary of the 26th Northumberland Fusiliers - does anyone have it?

If anyone is interested I've got a copy of the 1st Bn Grenadier Guards Diary for October 4th 1914 through to 20th October - entries start again on 7th November. The Grenadiers did not have time to complete the diary after this date as they were almost constantly under fire during "First Ypres", which seems very remiss for the senior regiment of the British army. I've also got part copies of the diary for 20 Brigade for October 1914, a letter from the Guards HQ dated December 1916 complaining about the lack of diary entries in 1914 and a host of other documents - special orders of the day etc.

Dave

Hi,

I have 1st Bn Somerset Light Infantry Aug 1914 - Feb 1919. And i am willing to do any look ups or donate any text for the War Diaries section of this site.

Steve

In memory of Pte J Perham 2/4th Devonshire Regt Died 1 May 1916 Mesopotamia

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the 14th Welsh (Swansea Battalion) diary though not word for word - I've summarised 'quiet' days etc. Happy to look up any queries that people might have.

Bernard Lewis

The Grenadiers did not have time to complete the diary after this date as they were almost constantly under fire during "First Ypres", which seems very remiss for the senior regiment of the British army. I've also got ... a letter from the Guards HQ dated December 1916 complaining about the lack of diary entries in 1914.

Dave

Hello, not really to the point in this thread but I believe several war diaries were lost during the fighting at First Ypres (the war diary of the 1st Brigade was burned during a bombardement if I recall correctly)...

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

As part of a team working on the history of the MGC, a group of us are working through the PRO reading all the MGC diaries and grading them for future reference in the narrative. Not too many copies of documents held, but it's being done. All variations are there, from amazingly well kept to utterly useless. Obviously, it would cost thousands to copy them all..

I couldn't begin to estimate how far through we are, but good progress is being made, and I think we've got a comprehensive list if anyone needs a shortcut to a document reference.

Phil

• 2 years later...
Hi,

I have 1st Bn Somerset Light Infantry Aug 1914 - Feb 1919. And i am willing to do any look ups or donate any text for the War Diaries section of this site.

Steve

In memory of Pte J Perham 2/4th Devonshire Regt Died 1 May 1916 Mesopotamia

Hi Steve

Is this diary/history readily available anywhere please ? I am trying to find out about my grandfather, Cyril Wyndham George House, service number 27731.

Cheers

Julian

Julian

See my response to your other posting:

Dave

I think it's a great idea. I just need to figure out how we can best do it. I'll need to play around with it a little, but look out for a new section to appear on the forum. Obviously, all ideas welcome.

Am interested in any war diary period covering 3rd ypres november 1917

Laughton,

Saw your post regarding the War Diary of the 26th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers and can tell you that a microfiched photocopy of that battalion diary is located in the Central Library in Newcastle.

For those that are interested all of the Northumberland Fusiliers War Diaries were typed up and microfiched by the curator of the old Northumberland Fusiliers Museum about thirty years ago, and copies are held by both the new Fusiliers of Northumberland Museum, Alnwick and Central Library, Newcastle.

Changing tack, have you also read the book "Tyneside Irish" by John Sheen, which in effect takes up the story from where "Irish Heroes" left off.

Graham.