Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitions

Guest Morseman

Hi This is my first post.On 18Nov2003 in a field close to The Ulster Tower I found a shell fuse cone with the following markings ALCO LOT 156\0 No85 I it also has the figures 19 20 enclosed within two circles separated by the war dept arrow.Any ID help would be appreciated.Also is theSunken Road located immediately to the right of the ASH Memorial near Beaumont Hamel? many thanks Morseman

Hi, Morseman.

What you've found is a No.85 fuze for a 13pdr or (most likely) a 18pdr British shell. This was a "time and percussion" fuze and ,I believe, was made in the USA (all No.85s were). ALCO is the manufacturer, with the lot number following.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave.

Hello, Moreseman,

Dave beat me to it regarding the fuse so I'll just add that you're quite right about the location of the Sunken Lane at Beaumont Hamel.

Tom

ALCO is the "American Locomotive Co."

Incidentally, while we are discussing fuses - Howard Williamson's "Collecters and Researchers Guide' Vol II" notes that "The No.80 was manufactured under licence from Krupps who later demanded £260,000 for fuzes fired at the German by the British during the Great War!" And we paid them £40,00.......!

Tom and Giles,

I saw a no. 85 fuse at a militray fair with the war department arrow followed by the words BSC followed by an small boxed S and then the words No. 85 after it.

What does BSC and the boxed S mean?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark

I have a No.85 sitting on my desk I picked up near Guillemont last week with all the same markings, these are quite common - BSC is Bethlehem Steel Company - another US manufacturer. The boxed "S" I think is to denote a certain part of the manufacturing process, I'll look it up.

Not sure if BSC manufactured here in England or in the US? - they are a US corporation according to my references.

S in a square I cannot find in any of my books. S with a dot is used on certain shell cases to denote a specific test for hardness but does not relate to fuses - over to someone else...

I was interested to read that all No. 85's were American made.

Don't quote me on that! One of my references quotes BSC as Bethlehem Steel Co. (ENGLAND).

I really do not know if they were made here or over the Pond?

I was interested to read that all No. 85's were American made.

Don't quote me on that! One of my references quotes BSC as Bethlehem Steel Co. (ENGLAND).

I really do not know if they were made here or over the Pond?

According to my "Notes on the ammunition for QF 13pdr, QF 18pdr, QF 4.5 inch Howitzer" 2nd edition 1916 (from the Ordnance College), all No 85 fuzes were actually made in America. I take it this is true at least upto the publication of this booklet (October 1916).

Dave

Please find the attached photo of a No 85 Fuze.

Regards

John

post-23-1070398059.jpg

We call it a Canadian fuse, here.

Besides, John, the bottom ring is missing from your piece.

Jan

Jan

The bottom ring is only required when fitted to a shrapel shell, as it is an

adapter to enable the fuze to fit the wider neck of the shell case. H.E. shells

have a narrow neck than shrapnel shells.

John's fuze would fit an H.E. shell as it is except there would be a leather

washer between the fuze and shell.

Geoff

HE shell fuses are completely different to shrapnell fuses (which this one is), so the shrapnell fuses need the bottom ring.

For Tom Morgan

RMC Co is possibly the Russell Motor Car Company (from Canada) although they are listed as using R.M.Co.,LTD in a 1916 list of Manufacturer's marks. To confuse further there was also a R.M.Co. mark from Renfrew Machine Company, Canada.

Yours

Mike

Thanks for that information, Mike and thanks also to Giles for Checking earlier. I missed your earlier reply. (Not difficult given the amount of traffic on the forum lately!)

Tom

Tom