Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Mayo Comrades of The Great War"'

P. J. Clarke

"Mayo Comrades of the Great War" is a 360 page newly-published book that reveals the names of practically all the Mayo (Ireland) soldiers who died in the war. It also has lists of men who were mentioned in the local papers throughout 1914-1920 who took part and in particular those who were prisoners of war who sent letters to the various committees who sent food parcels and clothing to the prisoner of war camps. Also is has lists of men who fought in the Canadian army and Australian armies, plus a number who fought with the American contingent. The book has numerous personal accounts by soldiers of the battles and it is heavily illustrated by photographs of these men. It has a hardback cover and dust jacket and more information on it can be got from the author, P. J. Clarke at pjmclarkw2004@yahoo.com

P.J.

All credit to your good self and congratulations of the book. It is not an easy topic to cover and takes an enormous amount of time and effort.

I wish you all the best in the future.

Kind regards.

Tom in Tipp.

P.J.

All credit to your good self and congratulations on the book. It is not an easy topic to cover and takes an enormous amount of time and effort.

I wish you all the best in the future.

Kind regards.

Tom in Tipp.

Hi: Thanks Tom. Nearly eight years- and more coming out of the woodwork now that the book is on general sale. PJC.

I would like to add to PJ's remarks above:

As well as the Roll of Honour there are articles on the on the Great War in general, on various actions and on individual participants from County Mayo or with a Mayo family connection. The poetry section's 30 pages qualifies it as an anthology in its own right, and there are other chapters on such varying subjects as Statistics, Posters, Shot at Dawn and the very real problems faced by many of the heroes and their families at home once the armistice had been signed in Europe.

A 'Book of Remembrance' may have been the very laudable objective of PJ and Mr. Feeney, but I personally feel that they have surpassed themselves and produced a veritable encyclopedia of County Mayo's Great War.

I must declare a certain interest here in so far as the authors have chosen to include one of my own essays in their book. I am pleased to have helped in some small way and to have contributed to what I firmly believe will prove to be a most useful and valuable resource to the growing number of those with an interest in Ireland's Great War.

Michael D.R.

Thanks Murrough. My people come from Camas, Meelick, Eyrecourt, Galway.

Regards.

Tom.

• 5 weeks later...

Picture Courtesy of the Front Page, Connaught Telegraph, Wednesday November 15, 2006.

post-18479-1169998498.jpg

Authors PJ Clarke, Ballina and Michael Feeny, Castlebar, pictured at the launch of the book "Comrades of the Great War," at Ballina Library.

A second launch takes place in the County Library, Castlebar, on Friday next at 8pm sharp.

Picture: John O'Grady.

REMEMBERING MAYO'S WORLD WAR ONE COMRADES.

By Brian Gillespie.

Eight years of hard work paid off handsomely on Saturday night as the authors PJ Clarke and Micheal Feeny enjoyed a hughly successful launch of their book "Mayo Comrades of the Great War" in Ballina Library.

In thier quest to compile a definative list of the overlooked Mayo contribution to World War 1, and the stories behind the comrades, Clarke and Feeny have worked relentlessly to come up with over 1,000 names of the fighters from the county.

The comrades came from all over Mayo, and many relatives of those who perished on the killing fields of Europe between 1914 and 1918 made the trip to Ballina on Saturday to celebrate the launch.

When both authors said it was a labour of love for them, you had to take them at their word. But labour is the apt word here, it would tire you out just thinking about the hours they spent traveling through the records, websites, and microfilm reels of local newspapers.

Indeed, much of the information came from local newspapers, such as The Connaught Telegraph, The Mayo News, The Western People, and the now defunct Ballina Herald.

Ballina native PJ looked forward to the moment when the book would be launched for some time. He said "For me this is the end of the road in a long search for the finding out, how many of our townsmen and indeed our county men, lost their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1919."

I say "1919" because on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, exactly 88 years ago today, a ceasefire was called but it wasn't until the following June that a treaty was signed to end the war.

PJ tells us how the book recounts that the first Mayo man to die was stephen Kennedy from Ardoughan, Ballina, who is buried in Athis-Mons, France - atown now twinned with Ballina.Stephen, along with thousands of Irishmen like him, went to "fight for the freedom" and the book is a tribute to the countless men who fought to keep the world a safe place in the early part of the last century.

Michael Feeny, whose grandfather was killed in action in the Great War, recounted writing an article in 1988 for the Castlebar parish magazine about the people who served in WW1 and the people who died in it.

"It got a great reaction generally but some people said What people? Prove it to me." They never heard of it. They didn't know that Mayo had an involvement in it." said Michael.

"So I started gathering a few facts and figures. By 1999 I had 370 names of Mayo people who were killed. I went to the local parish priest and he organised the first Rememberance Mass. What shocked Cannon Curran in Castlebar was the amount of relatives that came. "They came with medals and photographs and they left with handkerchiefs because they were all crying."

From the list of 370, Michael and PJ have come up with over 1,000 names and many stories behind the names. Theirs is a tremendous achievement.

- - - END OF ARTICLE - - -

Just like to add well done PJ & Michael.

Kevin. :D

• 14 years later...
7 hours ago, museumtom said:

If it is only one page you want and image of PM me.

Thanks for your kind offer but I wanted a copy of the book.  

regards

anthony