Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

barrieduncan

Barrie I wonder if I could impose on you to check for anything on these men from my local roll of honour, particulary the Poles, any help gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Pte

Juozas Sanalitis

Scottish Rifles, 9th Battalion and KOSB

42426 & 32518

03/05/1918

Pte

Klemis Poliskis

Scottish Rifles, 8th Battalion

28/09/1918

Pte

John Bartie

Royal Scots 2nd Battalion former Scots Rifles

44119 & 34145

18/07/1918

Pte

John Shaw

Scottish Rifles, 10th Battalion

28/03/1918

Hello there good people of Forum land, and a Merry Christmas to one and all.

I trust a certain Mr Claus was kind to you all and that everyone had a lovely time.

Seeing I was a little late in getting into the Christmas spirit, I've decided to make amends for my Scrooge-like attitude of the past couple of weeks.

As I am the only one in my office for the rest of the week, and 'proper' work is rather thin on the ground, I thought I would put my time to good use. So, for the rest of the week I am prepared to offer my time (and resources) to the good people of the Forum. If you have any Cameronian queries - post them up and I will see what can be done. We have most of the WW1 war diaries, as well as all the regimental and battalion histories, plus a few other odds and ends.

Yours in boredom,

Barrie

You and the other knowledgeable Forum members are so helpful, Barrie.

My father:

Pvt. Sydney Griffiths 17745 12th HLI

39323 Cameronians (I believe the 10th Service)

Can you tell by the numbers when he was transferred to S.R.?

Happy New Year!

Dave

Barrie:

If I could throw out a trio of names for you:

1) William John Blain 202749

Pte/Signaller

"D" Coy, 5th/6th Bn, Cameronians

KIA 14/04/1918

2) Pte Michael Montague 200841

5th Bn, Cameronians

KIA 20/07/1916

3) Sergt James Fleming 43236

5th Cameronians

*was prevously Pte, 18829, 12th Highland Light Infantry

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Barrie,

There is a Cameronian on the War Memorial at Wath-upon-Dearne near Rotherham in South Yorkshire. Do you have any information about 7262 Vivian Garbutt, 1st Bn, KIA 20 July 1916 or about the Battalion's activities on that day?

Thanking you - enjoy the rest of the week!

Grant

Thanks for looking for me Barrie, most appreciated.

The action on the 25/26th of March, 1918, sounds like a real botch up.

post-12111-1167258000.jpg

I hope to come back with more info in a day or two, but this is a squadron (?) of Cameronian mounted infantry in India. Herbert Webster is the rider to the right in the front ranks.

Hi Tony,

Afraid I can't tell you much about the doings of the 5th Bn at that point - other than they were territorials (which you most likely already knew), and that they landed in France on November 5th, 1914.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Barrie

Barrie,

One or two further details on Herbert Webster which may help you find him.

He joined in 1898 with the number 6214 and transferred to the reserve in 1905. He was mobilised and posted to the 1st battalion on 5.8.14. but transferred to the 9th S.R. on 8.8.14. and appointed C.S.M. on 14.8.14. He was discharged 11.8.15. He re-enlisted 3.6.16. His number changed to 25072 and he was posted to Gailes with the 9th Cadet Corps.

He had the King's and Queen's South Africa medals with clasps for Transvaal, Relief of Ladysmith and Tegula Heights. He was in India from April 1902 to December 1905. There are glowing testimonials from Captain J. Lochhead Jack commanding 'B' company at Nowshera and one from Major A.F. Townshend written 'In the Field' July 1915 bewailing the 'great loss to his Company'.

One curious thing that I haven't got to the bottom of is that after joining the post office at the end of the war he resigned in January 1919 to rejoin the army! We have postcards from Turin (May 1919) and Alexandria (June 1919) where he appears to be with the 3rd Sco. Rifles as Sergeant Major.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi,

It would be fantastic if you could help me with any information about:

Private David Clarkson, who was the son of David and Fanny Clarkson, who lived at 9 Church Street in Wales, a small mining village in South Yorkshire (east of Sheffield). According to the CWGC he was 21 years old when killed on 18 April 1917, whilst serving with the Cameronions (6th Battalion), service number 240955.

From what I can gather this was presumably part of the Battle of Arras. He is buried at Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery, Saulty, grave reference VII. J. 3.

We are putting together a study of all the men from the village who died, and any information you could give us about him or the circumstances in which he died would be very welcome. Similarly, I've been wondering about why he may have ended up serving with the Cameronians, having come from South Yorkshire....?

Many thanks,

John Tanner

Kiveton Park and Wales Community History Project

Hi John,

Can you give me a note of your email and i'll forward on the necessary war diary entries, thanks.

Salanitis is included in the Roll of Honour, but with the date of death of 25/04/1918 - there is no info on where he was from.

Poliskis isn't in the Regimental Roll of Honour, but is in the honour roll for the 8th Bn - it gives his birth place as Suwalki, Russia, and his enlistment details as Glencorse (Newton Grange, Midlothian).

Cheers,

Barrie

Dave,

I'm afraid I don't know enough about Cameronian Service numbers (yet :)) to be of much use on this one. The Medal Rolls at the National Archives should hopefully tell you when he transferred.

Sorry,

Barrie

Chris,

No mentions of any of your chaps in the main text of the either the 5th Bn History or the Regimental History. Blain is in the Roll of Honour for the Regiment and the 5th Battalion - no mention of Montague in either though for some reason. No war diary availabe as yet for the 5th, but send me your email and send you the appropriate scans from the battalion histories covering the days your two men were killed.

Cheers,

Barrie

Hi Grant,

The 1st Battalion made an attack on High Wood on the 20th of July. Here is the war diary entry:

Wed 19.

Moved down to trenches on edge of MAMETZ WOOD. At 7p.m. told we had to attack HIGH WOOD at dawn. Received orders at 10 p.m. & moved off to position of assembly at 12 midnight. No sleep.

Thurs 20.

Bn. started to advance on HIGH WOOD at 2 a.m. moving forward 1300 yards under cover of artillery barrage. 5th Sco. Rifles were on our Right.

At 3.25 a.m. barrage lifted and Battn. went into the wood. A & B Companies got held up by rifle & machine gun fire from the edge of the wood part of C and the whole of D got in easily and in a short time worked right across the wood.

At about 11 a.m. the Germans shelled the wood heavily and things having come to a standstill, re-inforcements were asked for.

At about 2.45 p.m. the R. Welch Fusiliers came up. Shortly after this the Germans retired from the N.W. corner of the wood and we occupied practically the whole of it. At dusk the enemy bombarded very heavily with 5.9s.

At about midnight the Queens & K.R.R.C. arrived and relieved us. The Bn withdrew to MAMETZ WOOD arriving there about 4 A.M.

Casualties Killed CAPT. BURGESS,

LIEUT R.B. RITCHIE 2/LIEUT McKILLOP

2/LIEUT GILLESPIE 2/LIEUT R.H. LAING

wounded. 2/LIEUT PERCY, 2/LIEUT McRAE

2/LIEUT RODGERS, 2/LIEUT de BETHUNE

missing CAPT EVANS, CAPT MacDONALD,

2/LT F. RITCHIE, 2/LT. BIBBY

Rank and file killed 52

missing 157

wounded 160

Have you checked this mans medal index card, he could be a regular soldier?

Barrie

Hello John T,

By 1917 the 5th Bn and the 6th Bn had amalgamated into the 5/6th Bn Scottish Rifles. I don't have the war diary for that particular unit at the time David was killed, but if you forward on your email address i'll send you some scans from the 5th Bn history which covers the battle.

Thanks,

Barrie

Ian,

Firstly, thanks for the pictures, they are very interesting and I appreciate you forwarding them on.

As for Herbert Wester - geez is this man elusive! I'm hoping from the info you included in your last post that you have managed to track down some kind of record of service or something like it.

Is there any mention of which unit he is attached to during his time in South Africa? The dates he was in India fits in with the 1st Bn - but I'm still not sure about the Boer War.

He must have been good to get high praise from General Jack - if you have read his book it's easy to see he expected nothing but the best from his men!

Very curious to see if you have anything further to add - I'm afraid as it stands at the moment, i'm rather stuck :(

Barrie

Hi Tony,

Afraid I can't tell you much about the doings of the 5th Bn at that point - other than they were territorials (which you most likely already knew), and that they landed in France on November 5th, 1914.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Barrie

Thanks anyway Barrie.

I thought it worth asking as you never know your luck.

Cheers,

Tony

Sorry Rup, no mention in either the Regimental History or the 2nd Bn War Diary.

Barrie

Hi,

Do you know if Pte J Tower's VC is in the Ashcroft Collection?

My grandfather Lt Walter B Jack was the recipient of the message that Towers managed to get across.

I have grandfather's MC group.

Regards

A Jack

Hi Barrie,

Don't worry too much about the elusive C.S.M. Webster - obviously I have copies of his service record and some photos which is a lot more than some poor souls have.

The letter from General Jack is, as you say, impressive. It states that Webster had 'been in my company since I came out [to India] and bears an exceptionally good character. I have found him both steady and hard working and am very sorry to be losing his services.'

I see from his service record that he was posted to the 2nd Sco. Rifles in September, 1898 and to the Cameronians in April 1902 so his South African service was with the 2nd.

Any records of the 3rd battalion in 1919?

Herbert's surviving daughter has just let us know that she has more photos which she will sort out for us so we may yet have more treasure for you!

Cheers,

Ian

Barrie many thanks for your help, deep in the recesses of my book shelves I came across a copy of the original Regimental Roll of Honour, it was given to the parents of this man and is annotated to that effect. It's dated 2nd August,1920 and appears to be an original copy, a previous owner seems to have been researching the DCM's awarded as they have been pencilled in here and there.

Name: MACDONALD, IAN ANGUS

Initials: I A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/06/1915

Service No: 1714

Additional information: Son of Mark and Helene Wallace Macdonald, of 82, Prince Albert St., Crosshill, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 92 to 97.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL