Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

'LHYH'

stevehowarth

Hi,

I have a reference to a soldier or, more to the point, a 'trooper', in the 'LHYH'. Guessing, I would say that the 'Y' might stand for 'Yeomanry'. Does anyone know more about this.

Steve

Thanks for your suggestion Chris. Lancashire may well be the 'L' as the individual in question came from Skipton (then West Yorks), fairly close to the Lancs border.

The stray 'H' is a problem. I can't be sure that the original reference - from a school roll of service/honour (Fred Ambler) - is accurate in the first place.

Steve

manchester regiment

pte fred ambler was in the yorkshire hussars,No 2309,he then transferred to the west yorkshire regt as pte 330,then renumbered as 235709,which brings up another query,how did he manage to have a prewar 3 digit number and prewar 4 digit number,going off the MIC,he seems to have served overseas as 2309 yorks hussars and then transferred to a TF batt of the west yorks and given a number that was issued years before the war started?????bernard

ps,could the LH be light horse

southern geordie

I am inclined to think that there may be a "Pre-name" missing. There have been some rather complex units in existance, especially T.A. units, between the wars. So, and at a guess, I would opt for ? Prename Light Horse Yomanry Hussars .

It begins to sound like one of our modern day amalgamations :

Thanks to all for their thoughts. I am particularly grateful to manchester Regiment for the MIC lookup.

Steve

Archived