Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

46 Battalion AIF

Neil Mackenzie

I am looking for info on the 17/18 July 1917. I have the Official History of the Battalion which states that they were in the Hill 63 area (Ploegsteert) and just before being relieved on night of 17/18 were subject to 4 1/2 hours of shelling. However few casualties were reported.

I wondered if the war diary gave any more detail - especially on the number of casualties?

Thanks.

Neil

I am looking for info on the 17/18 July 1917. I have the Official History of the Battalion which states that they were in the Hill 63 area (Ploegsteert) and just before being relieved on night of 17/18 were subject to 4 1/2 hours of shelling. However few casualties were reported.

I wondered if the war diary gave any more detail - especially on the number of casualties?

Thanks.

Neil

If anyone has access to the 32nd Battalion for early October 1917 that would be great as well.

Jon

(Apologies to Neil for piggybacking onto his thread).

Jon.

YOU BANDIT!! :)

I have since realised that the Australian war diaries are available at the National Archive so next time I am there (probably early in the new year) I will try and look up the 32nd Div for that day and let you know. Are you looking for mention of any particular date or individual?

Neil

Jon.

YOU BANDIT!! :)

I have since realised that the Australian war diaries are available at the National Archive so next time I am there (probably early in the new year) I will try and look up the 32nd Div for that day and let you know. Are you looking for mention of any particular date or individual?

Neil

Neil,

That is really kind. I am interested in:

Name Roland Benton (George Rowland on CWGC)

Address Hutton St., Collie, Western Australia. Native of South Staffordshire, England.

NOK Son of George Rowland Benton and Sarah Benton; husband of Ada Benton

Rank Private

No 4026

Regt 32nd Battalion Australian Infantry, A.I.F

Date of Death 12.10.1917

Age 29

How Died of Wounds

Theatre France and Flanders

Buried AEROPLANE CEMETERY

I accept that he died of wounds, so I'm interested in what the battalion were doing in the week or so before his death.

Jon

Jon.

The following is a few notes I made from the War Diary.

9 October

5pm Bn marched out and relieved 10 Bn in front line opposite Celtic Wood (this is south of Broodseinde). No casualties during relief which was not completed until 2am.

B & D Coys in front line with A & C in support.

10 October

Enemy artillery extremely active all day (but Diary does not mention any casualties)

11 October

Usual shell fire all day. A & C Coys relieved, B & D Coys in front line during night of 11/12th. Diary mentions 13 casualties but gives no details.

12 October

At 3pm enemy reported massing in Celtic Wood. Brigade informed and artillery dispersed them. At 4.30pm information from Brigade that aeroplanes reported all roads leading to enemy front full of troops. Preparations made for a counter attack expected during the night. Extra ammunition to Coys, wire placed in front. During night artillery kept slow fire on enemy positions but no attack developed. Diary mentions 19 casualties but again gives no details.

There is a piece of paper in his service record headed Graves Registration Unit (exhumation) which lists his name (plus others) - which suggests he was originally buried elsewhere. This piece of paper also suggests he was in D Coy.

These service records also say he was killed in action rather than suggest he died of wounds and makes no mention of him being admitted to a CCS or Field Ambulance. I am not sure how they differentiate between KIA/DOW terminology (although it has come up a few times on the Forum before).

Finally - all his service records indicate he was George Rowland Benton rather than Roland Benton.

Neil

Jon.

The following is a few notes I made from the War Diary.

9 October

5pm Bn marched out and relieved 10 Bn in front line opposite Celtic Wood (this is south of Broodseinde). No casualties during relief which was not completed until 2am.

B & D Coys in front line with A & C in support.

10 October

Enemy artillery extremely active all day (but Diary does not mention any casualties)

11 October

Usual shell fire all day. A & C Coys relieved, B & D Coys in front line during night of 11/12th. Diary mentions 13 casualties but gives no details.

12 October

At 3pm enemy reported massing in Celtic Wood. Brigade informed and artillery dispersed them. At 4.30pm information from Brigade that aeroplanes reported all roads leading to enemy front full of troops. Preparations made for a counter attack expected during the night. Extra ammunition to Coys, wire placed in front. During night artillery kept slow fire on enemy positions but no attack developed. Diary mentions 19 casualties but again gives no details.

There is a piece of paper in his service record headed Graves Registration Unit (exhumation) which lists his name (plus others) - which suggests he was originally buried elsewhere. This piece of paper also suggests he was in D Coy.

These service records also say he was killed in action rather than suggest he died of wounds and makes no mention of him being admitted to a CCS or Field Ambulance. I am not sure how they differentiate between KIA/DOW terminology (although it has come up a few times on the Forum before).

Finally - all his service records indicate he was George Rowland Benton rather than Roland Benton.

Neil

Neil,

Thank you so much. I got interested in him as he is on my village war memorial only to find out that his family lived in the house opposite mine. Spooky or what. Below is a pre 1910 picture of Roland. He was known as this in his family as his dad was also George, and he is on the local war memorial as Roland.

Jon

post-14888-1167426529.jpg

In case you are interested the battlion history of the 32nd Battalion is due out in January 2007.

How do I obtain a copy of this history?

In case you are interested the battlion history of the 32nd Battalion is due out in January 2007.

How do I obtain a copy of this history?

Hi,

I'm also interested in obtaining a copy of this book.

Mick