Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Hussars Cap badge

max7474

I recently read a back copy of medal news which had an article on the badges of the 13 Hussars. It sstaed that the Regt wore their first pattern badge (silver roman numerals within a brass wreath above a title scroll) from 1092 with a K/C but this soon went out of favour and they wore the all brass Z type smaller badge orginally worn on FS cap instead. This was the same design a their collars and is seen with both sliders and lugs for the collars. However Gaylor's book states the opposite in that the regt preferred the full size badge and wore that in place of the Z type one!

Anyone have any photos of the 13th hussars in WW1 which can determine the truth?

Alan

Alan, be interested to see what you can uncover on this subject - I have a photograph of my g-grandfather wearing the collar dogs of the 13th Hussars (my avatar in fact) and I have no idea when the photograph was taken. I also have a photograph of him in the uniform of the 11th Hussars which was possibly taken just after the war ended - not sure if there was ever any connection between the two regiments?

post-9547-1166549236.jpg

post-9547-1166549259.jpg

Barrie,

The article states that the regiment continued to wear those collars witht he Z type badge and later changed the collars to Z type as well. I will go back and find out tif it mentions a date but I think it was around WW1.

There were alot of soliders posted between cavalry regiments in 1921 with the amalgamations and he could have gone across to the 11th hussars then to make up their numbers as the 3rd and the 18th would have reduced their manpower on merging. There was no formal link between the 2 regiments though. There are of course anumber of otther reasons such as transferred following wounds or even trnasferred at own request becasue the 11th's location may have suited him better.

Alan

Thanks for that Alan.

I've been stumped with my grandfathers service for ages now - and I'm not sure if I'll ever know for sure one way or the other.

I know for certain (through letters that we have in the family) that he was in the 11th Hussars in Egypt in 1919. I have a photograph of him in the 11th Hussars and he looks to be a bit older than what he is in the image I posted above. On his marriage certificate of 1921 he is registered as a steel worker - no mention of the Army - so I think it's safe to assume he was out of it all by then.

He was born in April 1899, so would have been around 15 when war broke out. The only MIC that is close to his name in the 11th hussars is to a 1914 man, so I think it's safe to say that rules him out.

I've seen photographs of him as a territorial in the Lanarkshire Yeomary which seem to date from the early 20s and there is no sign of medal ribbons, so it is probably likely that he wasn't overseas until after the war (early 1919) perhaps.

I'd love to be able to at least put a rough date to that photograph however, so if you are able to find a date with regards to the 13th Hussars wearing collar badges from the source you mentioned I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks for you help and sorry for kind of hi-jacking your thread.

Barrie

The Badge [though that one is a QVC} above is comparatively more common than the "Z" badge,which was worn tentatively on a "Forage" cap{ie fore & aft cap}

The Badge [though that one is a QVC} above is comparatively more common than the "Z" badge,which was worn tentatively on a "Forage" cap{ie fore & aft cap}

sorry for my ignorance what means QVC here ?

best regards

sorry for my ignorance what means QVC here ?

best regards

Hello,

It means the Queen Victoria Crown. British and commonwealth badges are often dated by the crown of the monach they were made under. As well there is the Kings crown and post ww2 Queens crown.

By the way, my Great Grandfather served with the 13th Hussars in Iraq. I have a picture of him but it has no accutrements so I can not help there. I have just asked my grandmother and she can't remeber either. I have a 13th H cap badge in my collection and it had the Kings Crown with the silver Roman numerals in the middle. However, unlike alot of the Canadian Expeditionary Force stuff (Main interest) it has no markings or dates so I can't help there either.

I would love to find out as well what they would have worn because I really don't know alot about him.

Thanks,

Cam

Yes that hat badge is the wrong one for WW1 period. Museums often have donated items that are not quite right. I have the Kings crown version of it.

Alan

• 11 years later...

Reviving an old thread.  I have trawled through WW1 era photos and it is quite clear that whilst officers wore the 13Z badge in both cap and collars, other ranks wore  the full wreath with XIII numerals on cap and collars up to amalgamation in 1922.  Like most regiments collars were not normally worn by ORs during the war but were worn again by 1921 in khaki.

There is a gap in record between 1922 and 1935.  In 1935 the regiment adopted the QMO title and were wearing the 5bar gate cap and collars.  In 1937 the 5 bar gate cap badges were dropped in favour of the WW2 era all brass badge but the 5 bar collars were retained until at least 1944.

Post WW1 the regiment adopted a light lanyard to match their No 1 collar facings and caps and worn on the right shoulder.  This suggests your photo pre-dates WW1.