Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials in Oz

ChrisC

Cenotaph at Williamstown near Melbourne.

post-3633-1166971569.jpg

post-3633-1166971594.jpg

post-3633-1166973119.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed seeing them as much as I did in finding & photographing them.

Chris C

The 7th of August always gets me.

Chris, all those names on the 10th's monument.

Thanks for the pics.

Kim

There are three names missing off the monument.

Chidgzey

Norrish

Hassell

I have been having a dickens of a time trying to get the names on there. No one organisation wants to take responsibility for the monument and put the names on there. The run around that I have been given by the RSL, Kings Park Board and all the other so called 'big wigs' would leave you gob smacked.

If I was to do it on my own I would get charged with vandalism!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

post-3633-1166973119.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed seeing them as much as I did in finding & photographing them.

Chris C

Chris,

You have certainly gone to some trouble in taking those photos.

When I was in Australia two years ago I visited and took photos of the main Memorials, including the unusual one in Sydney plus the other ones in Alice Springs, Perth and Melbourne because my late father-in-law fought alongside the Aussies in Gallipoli and had a great respect for them. Actually I almost became a 'Ten Pound Pom' just after the last war but the Authorities there discovered that the sister of my travelling :rolleyes: colleague was a member of the Communist Party so he was barred from entering the country although he had no interest in the Party himself, (can't be too careful) so I lost interest. However I'm drifting off the subject -- celebrated too well last night. Anyway thanks for allowing us to view those photos.

Dennis

• 3 years later...

post-3633-1166968476.jpg

post-3633-1166968486.jpg

Hello Chris C

Please could I ask for your help.

I am researching those listed on the Wesham War Memorial, one had emigrated to Australia and was a resident of Adelaide. From the photographs you have posted of the Adelaide Memorial I could see the sites of western front battles listed. Do you have a photograph with Gallipoli on?

Thank you

Jennifer