Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

38th "Welsh" Division Mametz Wood

sjustice

Hello all,

I'm tracking the engagements of 11th SWB and their attacks on Mametz Wood. Can anyone point me to a good resolution trench map for 10th - 14th July 1916?

Also need one for reference from the 11th SWB War Diary - Reference is Sheet 36NW and looks like Iiic 30.30. Will be in the vicinity of Armentieres/L'Epinette

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Simon

I have a map at home which shows part of the wood and is I think relevant to the attack of 10 July. Only B&W and not over finely detailed. I'll dig it out and see what I can do later.

Bernard

I have 2 maps; neither especially good as Mametz Wood straddles both.

I have 27 April 1916 - 57d SE4 (Bottom Wood/Contalmaison). And 15 July 1916 - 57c SW3 (Authille/Aveluy).

My scanner is not working at present (software yet to be loaded) but I could take a digital snap(s) of (a bit of) what I have and PM you?

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

That's very kind. If your map shows the wood, Bazentin le Pt. and Pozieres it will be perfect but I'll take what I can get, with gratitude :) Thanks for replying; I'll pm you my email address

Kind Regards,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks, Bernard.

Merry Christmas to you and all.

Still looking for Reference is Sheet 36NW and looks like Iiic 30.30. Will be L'Epinette near Armentieres if anyone has access :)

Kind Regards,

Simon

Happy to help!

Bernard