Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Own Territorial

Northern Soul

Terry,

Please can you check out:

Pte. Thomas Higgins, 4912 (1/5th) King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt, k.i.a. 5/9/16.

Can you also confirm from the G.R,.O. Index that 240115, Sgt. Charles Lund (of the same Regiment) died in 1917 and not 1916.

Cheers.

Andy,

according to the regimental nominal roll of the 1/5th batt,sgt lund was killed on 4-6-16,not 1917,bernard

according to the regimental nominal roll of the 1/5th batt,sgt lund was killed on 4-6-16,not 1917,bernard

Thanks Bernard.

According to CWGC he was killed 18th March 1917...................according to Soldiers Died he was killed on 4th October 1916. The nominal roll indicates it was the 4th June 1916.

The G.R.O Index will probably say '1918' at this rate!

Any more permutations?

I'm perplexed by this one. His MIC mentions only the King's Own - not the East Lancs. Regt. Why then would it be necessary to qualify his service in such a way if he had never served abroad with the EL? Surely it would have just been a simple regimental transfer?

Co-incidentally the man buried next to him, Pte. C. Gawne, has the same regimental pedigree.

All suggestions welcomed.

Andy

It'll be worth asking Terry D to have a nosy at his hard copy of the cemetery register to eliminate the possibility that an error has crept in to the online entry.

There is also the possibility that this is simply weird sh*t affecting the 1/5th King's Own. You may recall you & I discussing a large batch of 6th Cheshires seemingly wandering round the Somme getting killed with assorted units (inc the 1/5th) but without their original unit being changed.

Were Lund & Gawne KIA? If so, then it may be possible to identify which of the two units was in the immediate area of the cemetery - I was able to sort out a few of the Cheshires like this.

John

....popped over to Arras last night on a special mission.

As you do........

So, the "official" date would appear to be 03.09.16.

Any ideas why the database now says 18.03.17? It seems an unlikely scanning error. (I think we'll ignore the Soldiers Died and Medal Roll dates for the moment!)

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy

It'll be worth asking Terry D to have a nosy at his hard copy of the cemetery register to eliminate the possibility that an error has crept in to the online entry.

There is also the possibility that this is simply weird sh*t affecting the 1/5th King's Own. You may recall you & I discussing a large batch of 6th Cheshires seemingly wandering round the Somme getting killed with assorted units (inc the 1/5th) but without their original unit being changed.

Were Lund & Gawne KIA? If so, then it may be possible to identify which of the two units was in the immediate area of the cemetery - I was able to sort out a few of the Cheshires like this.

John

It is most peculiar, it has to be said. It's actually Higgins and Gawne (rather than Lund) who have the strange entries. Both men's MIC's give no hint of service with the East Lancs. and both are listed as being in Territorial Bns. of the King's Own in Soldiers Died, so it is very puzzling why their secondment (? - because they don't seem to have been transferred) from the East Lancs even gets mentioned.

Maybe I'll never know. <_<

Andy.