Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Thorburn Greenlees (R.N.R)

pandabean

Hi,

I have been told that my great grandfather may be a case for Non-Commemorations. This was the original thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=65590

Can anyone help me find out if he is entitled to be mentioned.

Here are some more details from the Service Record:

My Great Grandfather, Robert T Greenlees (5010) Trimmer in the Royal Naval Reserve enlisted on the 17th Jan 1916. He served on the H.T Marie (Harbour Tug) and then on the Attentive III and discharged from that ship on the 21st May 1916. The grounds of discharge were Invalided. He was finally disposed of on the 25th of August 1916. Robert then died on the 22nd April 1917 in Livingstone,Linlithgow.

On his service record there is a letter (dated 1919 as she has remarried) from his Widow saying that he died in 1917. Also on the service record it mentions that:

25.8.16 Greenlees suffering from Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Sanatroium Treatment (Contracted in Attentive III)

Also find attached a copy of page 1 (1) of the service record.

Regards,

Andy

post-12890-1166295968.jpg

I also have his death certificate which states that he was R.N.R Trimmer discharged and died of Pulmonary TB.

Andy

To qualify for War Grave status after discharge, he must have died within the qualifying period and of a cause attributable to his service within the qualifying period (in the opinion of MoD).

He certainly meets the date of death criterion and the items you have posted, with the death certificate, make a good case for meeting the 'service attributable' requirement.

You seem to have a good case to put forward. If you want the Forum to take up this case, send me a PM.

Thanks to Terry this case has now been passed onto the MoD. So it just the waiting now.

• 4 years later...