Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The capture of Gouy October 1918

Will O'Brien

Can anyone enlighten me with regards to this action. My particular interest concerns the role of the 50th Northumbrian Division in general & the 7th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment in particular.

I am hoping to gain some background knowledge to this action as part of my research of a soldier Pte A. Brandom 14304 who served with the 7Wilts & was killed shortly after Gouy was captured.

Will

Not sure whether you have already seen it but the war diary for the Wiltshire Rgt

is on line at www.thewardrobe.org.uk.

Although it has only one line for the day your man was killed, the diary does give some fairly good information prior to that date.

Regards Doug

Will,

History of the 50th division makes only a brief mention of this action.

"The 50th div saw stiff fighting in this action but captured Gouy and Le Catalet beating off a number of counter attacks. At one point the enemy reached the centre of Gouy but was quickly driven out again. The advance was continued on the 5th of October with the 150th bde ( inc 7th Wilts) holding the divisional front, some 500 yards north east of Vauxhall Quarry."

Bob.

Will,

I think the War Diary's are your best bet, maybe even having a look at the flanking regiment's war diaries, in a hope that they have more details of the attack. The entry for that period in Kenrick's Regimental history is as follows:

"On 3rd October the 7th relieved the 1st King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry at Epéhy near the Somme, to take their part in the final Allied offensive. A successful attack next day produced 152 prisoners, and another on 6th October was held up by barbed wire. Total casualties were 5 officers and 217 other ranks. Further action culminated in an attack near Le Câteau, where the 7th took 123 prisoners. Casualties during this period amounted to six officers and ninety-nine other ranks, including Lieutenant C. Penruddocke, who was killed after long service with the Battalion. Twenty-one Military Medals were awarded."

Sorry i can't be of more help :)

Ski