Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FREE BOOK

tintin1689

I am offering a free book again, in this area this time as I think it is most appropriate.

There are not many books about the British Force that went to aid the Italians in the latter part of the Great War, in fact this is only one of two I gave seen. It is by Fusilier Gladden of the 11th Bn Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. It is a book of personal reminiscence of service in Italy with the 23rd Division. The author was an intelligent, thoughtful and serious minded young man and a keen observer - he later went on to a distinguished Civil Sevice career and a Doctorate in Public Administration. His account of the Western Front - "Ypres 1917" was also published.

It was published in 1971 unusually by HMSO and is a paperback of 220 pages with 8 pages of, very sharp and clear, black and white photographs.

Please post if you would like it (UK only please) - issue is subject to the usual provisos that if you no longer want it you offer it up on the forum again and, if you feel up to it, perhaps post a review?

Marina

This is a super volume one of the most readable and enjoyable personal accounts I know - I'm sure you will enjoy it (unless someone else got there first).

My own copy has an inscription inside the cover relating that the book itself crossed the Piave (via Papadopoulos Island) some 4 or 5 years ago.

One part of Norman Gladdens trioligy of his war service with the Northumberland Fusiliers. He was actually from London and a Derby Scheme man, who was initially posted to the Hertfordshire Regt and then transferred to the 1/7th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers. He was later transferred to the 11th Bn,N.F., with whom he saw out the rest of the war. A very honest and worthwhile publication in anyones library, the only problem is getting hold of his first volume "Somme 1916", which was followed by "Ypres 1917" and finally "Across the Piave".

Graham.

P.S.

Don't say anything, but he wasn't a 'Fusilier', they were all Privates at this stage, the term Fusilier wasn't adopted until the 1920's.

Excellent book by a man I had the pleasure to meet and chat with on many occasions. My copy of the book is signed by Norman, but has yet - sadly - to cross the Piave like Kate's! His Ypres and Somme books are also favourites of mine; and all three very hard to find these days.