Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancs Regiment - Mullaly

Chris_B

Southern softie has a copy of Mullay's "South Lancashire Regiment" history 1717-1945, borrowed from Lancashire Libraries. Any questions?

ChrisB

So it was you I was bidding against! Only kidding, I was tempted but decided against until I can find out for soure whihc Bn my Grandad was. But I did make a synopsis of waht happened to 1/4 SLR.

Happy reading, there loads of detail in it and a couple of nice pull out maps.

ChrisB

Fortunately, one of my mates is nearly as interested in this subject as me, and he spends a lot of time on ebay. He spotted it and did all the bidding for me!

At the moment we are creating a database of the men of 1/5 from S.D.I.G., the CWGC site, and the various regimental histories and citation collections we can get our hands on. He is sepending heroic amount of time on it, going far beyond the 'assistance' I expected.

Mention in Dispatches granted!

S

• 1 month later...
Guest lightburn

Chris,In the book,would you remember if you came across Maj.Wm.Burke,who served from 1914 to 1958 in the South Lancs. Regt.....promoted through the ranks.Finished up as QuarterMaster.

My father also served 1918 to 1938 same Regiment.Regards,Derek.p,.s.any chance of borrowing the book?

• 2 months later...

Have a copy of a diary belonging to Sidney Thomas Ince 1/5th South lancs killed 1915 have taken all the names of casualties out of it and other info ,only covers feb 1915 until death in July15 do you want any gen from this diary? Did some research on unit and visited the Menin gate to see his memorial. His medals in a museum in Preston

• 10 months later...
Have a copy of a diary belonging to Sidney Thomas Ince 1/5th South lancs killed 1915 have taken all the names of casualties out of it and other info ,only covers feb 1915 until death in July15 do you want any gen from this diary? Did some research on unit and visited the Menin gate to see his memorial. His medals in a museum in Preston

Hi there,

for some reason I didn't spot your post until just now - nearly a year after you wrote it! Sorry about that.

I'd be really interested to know more about Sidney Thomas Ince's diary, as the 1/5 South Lancs are my main interest and I'm doing some research on them. The period from Feb - July 1915 was really hectic from them, as they left England, went almost immediately to the trenches at Le Toquet and then went through the mill at Second Ypres.

Given that it's so long since your original post, I'll also email you through the forum - hope that's ok.

Cheers,

Ste

I've just looked at the Commonwealth Wa Graves Commission site and spotted that Corporal Ince was actually 1/4 Battalion, not 1/5. However, I'd still be interested in hearing about the diary.

Cheers,

Ste