Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

salient circle 14-18 badge

koyli

Presumably a post war ex services association,or club,the White Horse suggests Kentish origins?

Hello,

On the other hand the battlefields of Ypres were referred to as 'The Salient' This could well be a post war organisation formed by those who had served there.

Old Tom

• 12 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread but I wonder if anyone has any more information about the "Salient Circle" as I have acquired this badge and this thread is one of the few places where the group is mentioned.

Legion-Salient.jpg

Edited by Guest

This looks to be the badge of an Anglo-German association (XXII Res. Korps).

Regards,

JMB

The three groups on the badge have a "Ypres" connection , XXII.Res.Korps were heavily involved in the Battle of Gheluvelt. 

It is the "Salient Circle" that I am having a problem with , they appear to have been a Kent based group (Whitstable and Sittingbourne branches) but all I can find is a couple of articles about visits they made to Ypres in the 1960's.

The photo is from a Dutch brass/drum band site :

"In addition, there is one very special one drum in the instruments of the brass band, namely a black drum that after a visit in 1967 was donated by The Ypres Salient Circle, a group of British former fighters."

But I can find no other information about when they were founded or what happened to them (disbanded ?).

Salient Circle - Drum.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 24/04/2019 at 15:45, gunner who said:

The three groups on the badge have a "Ypres" connection , XXII.Res.Korps were heavily involved in the Battle of Gheluvelt. 

It is the "Salient Circle" that I am having a problem with , they appear to have been a Kent based group (Whitstable and Sittingbourne branches) but all I can find is a couple of articles about visits they made to Ypres in the 1960's.

"In addition, there is one very special one drum in the instruments of the brass band, namely a black drum that after a visit in 1967 was donated by The Ypres Salient Circle, a group of British former fighters."

But I can find no other information about when they were founded or what happened to them (disbanded ?).

Skipman has today posted a clip of a 1961 BBC programme about a trip by the Salient Circle to the Western Front on, er, ‘The Western Front’ sub-forum. (I’d post the link but my iPad has gone a bit weird.)

Edited by Uncle George

• 4 years later...
On 24/04/2019 at 15:45, Guest said:

Very late indeed  to the party !

Today I received a newletter published in April this year ( 2023) by  and circulated to all members of  the East Kent Western Front association. There is a superb 10 page article about the Salient Circle indeed a Kent based group ( in Whitstable to be precise) of WW1 veterans and others who arranged regular  5 day visits to Ypres where they walked the trench areas , dined with the Mayor and local people.  Up to 80 group members used to attend these trips to Flanders . Suppers and meetings held in the town too.

Sadly the Town Council took too long to respond to a request from Ypres to be " twinned " with them so Sittingbourne stepped in .

I will pass the group photo above with the  caption in Flemish /Dutch (?) to my local museum and to the East Kent  WFA . Page 9 of the article below includes this photo with Mr Albert Dawkins identified .

Hello to Guest and to others- enjoy the marvellous article below. Wonderful happy ending on the last page .

FYI There is a new local project to support people to  research ancestors who served and died in WW1. In addition myself and a local expert WW1 researcher are seeking the names of those who served in WW1 and who survived in order to compile an archive for the local museum 

Copywrite to EAst Kent WFA . Written by Editor James Brazier 

@Matlock1418

@koyli

@HarryBettsMCDCM

17019917011344018935958224892348.jpg

17019918258142942624598753172291.jpg

17019918715868395177058448252398.jpg

17019919123554836757977261239829.jpg

17019919528349185065520687752612.jpg

17019919837436917193011500317124.jpg

17019920318822328828830957993321.jpg

17019922261585250203378409392532.jpg

17019922516674156369224112811113.jpg

Edited by FionaBam

Fionabam,

Thank you very much for this information. I also have a badge and at long last a mystery solved for me.

Regards

Lawry Farrow

31 minutes ago, koyli said:

Fionabam,

Thank you very much for this information. I also have a badge and at long last a mystery solved for me.

Regards

Lawry Farrow

Hi Lawry

You are very welcome! That's good! 

Have passed your badge photo plus  the other 2 photos on to the EKent WFA so James who wrote this article will get them very soon and no doubt be very interested to see them .

I might be back with queries from James !

Cheers

Fiona