Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

263 Seige battery RGA

Guest mudcrabber

Guest mudcrabber

I am slowly? obtaining information on my Grandfather, Lt Edmund Bartleet who served in this unit from 24/12/16, (what a christmas present), until he was wounded in October 1918.

He won the MC and Croix de Guerre near Kemmel on 25/4/1918. I have his decorations, cap and shoulder badges, wound stripe, wound badge, unit locations during this period, but have no infomation as to the weapons this unit actually fired.

What we do know was ths unit was attached to Monash and the Australians for a considerable time, which is of interest to us here as my grandfather was originally of old Australian stock and was in support of his cousin who was in the 46 Batt AIF.

I remember talking to him about in the 1970's but he was understandably reluctant to talk about what took place during that period. We lost 3 close family members killed and 3 wounded out of 8 who served. They were "big" guns, which satisfied me as I was only 14 at the time.

Any information on this unit would be gratefully received.

Andrew Bartleet

Andrew

In November 1918 263 Siege Bty was part of 12th Brigade RGA and was under Fourth Army in France. It was equipped with four 6-inch howitzers. The Public Record Office at Kew will probably have the war diary for 12th Brigade.

Charles

Guest mudcrabber

Dear Charles,

Thanks very much for the infomation. I thought it might be this type, or something with wheels as they did move about quite a bit over the two years in question. I cant see anything much larger being so easiler dismantled. I do know that the unit was withdrawn from the battle on 26 April due to casualties, as a number of officers and other ranks of the Brigade? were killed the day before.

The citation for the Croix de Guerre, written in the field by the Col of the French Regiment does decribe that the guns of the battery assisted in holding off the germans. Its in pencil so its a bit hard to read. One of the other ranks also got the same medal.

best regards

Andrew