Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Wallington

clarkc_bpo

Hi all,

Does anyone know if HMS Wallington (WW1) was a ship or a shore establishment. I've found that my gt-gt-uncle was assigned to it (and various Victory's that I know to be Portsmouth barracks or shore establishments). If so, he was a stoker who spent the whole war ashore ! Is this common ? Why ?

any ideas most welcome.

regards

Clark

Hi all,

Does anyone know if HMS Wallington (WW1) was a ship or a shore establishment. I've found that my gt-gt-uncle was assigned to it (and various Victory's that I know to be Portsmouth barracks or shore establishments). If so, he was a stoker who spent the whole war ashore ! Is this common ? Why ?

any ideas most welcome.

regards

Clark

Hello Clark

WALLINGTON Humber, A/P (Auxiliary Patrol) Base by 01.1917-1920

WALLINGTON (1911) Trawler, hired as BDV (Boom/Baloon Vessel) 1915-1919

Ex-Yacht ST GEORGE (1890) Renamed ORIFLAME 06.1918. Renamed WALLINGTON 10.1918

WALLAROO (ex-PERSIAN renamed 2.4.1890) 2nd class cruiser. Harbour service 1906. Renamed WALLINGTON 5.3.19

(From Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy)

Hope this helps

Regards

John

Hello Clark

WALLINGTON Humber, A/P (Auxiliary Patrol) Base by 01.1917-1920

WALLINGTON (1911) Trawler, hired as BDV (Boom/Baloon Vessel) 1915-1919

Ex-Yacht ST GEORGE (1890) Renamed ORIFLAME 06.1918. Renamed WALLINGTON 10.1918

WALLAROO (ex-PERSIAN renamed 2.4.1890) 2nd class cruiser. Harbour service 1906. Renamed WALLINGTON 5.3.19

(From Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy)

Hope this helps

Regards

John

He was at/in Wallington between Oct 1916 and Jan 1918, so it would seem that he was on the Trawler. So would that likely have been boom defence at Portsmouth then ? Would the trawler still have been known as "HMS" ?

thanks once again,

Clark

Clark

I have no information on WALLINGTONS' war service as this is always very difficult to find, but the only other details I have is that WALLINGTON was a Grimsby trawler with the Port Registration No. GY599, and when requisitioned her prefix would more than likly have been H.M.T.

Hope this helps

Regards

John

Clark

I have no information on WALLINGTONS' war service as this is always very difficult to find, but the only other details I have is that WALLINGTON was a Grimsby trawler with the Port Registration No. GY599, and when requisitioned her prefix would more than likly have been H.M.T.

Hope this helps

Regards

John

Thanks so much for this John. One last question :

Written on his service record after the name of some of the 'ships' (Victory XI, Wallington, Victory X) is something in brackets that I cannot work out. It looks like four or five letters ending in 'n'. Any idea what that might be ? I've tried to cut and paste from the pdf file onto here but it wont work !

regards

Clark

Clark,

Wallington was the Auxilliary Patrol base at Grimsby, if their is a name in Parenthesis after Wallington this is the ship he actually served on.

Regards Charles

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jenny Towey

Hi!

I have recently discovered that my gt uncle, John William Siddle, was on HMT Wallington (amongst others, but with the timings involved I think the event must have occurred during his time aboard this ship)- what happened to this vessel that led to him receiving a bronze medal for military valour from the King of Italy and the DSM? He was also aboard the HMT Achilles II when it was struck by a mine and he didn't survive.

Jenny,

Welcome to the forum and seasons greetings. Im sure you have seen these, they can be found online, but I cannot post a link.

Mention in Despatches;

Gazette Issue 30153

26-June-1917

Bronze Medal for military valour;

Gazette Issue 30581

published on the 15 March 1918.

Page 6 of 6

DSM

For Mine sweeping operations between 1st April and 31st December 1917

Gazette Issue 30635

published on the 16 April 1918.

Page 2 of 6

Regards Charles

Hi!

I have recently discovered that my gt uncle, John William Siddle, was on HMT Wallington (amongst others, but with the timings involved I think the event must have occurred during his time aboard this ship)- what happened to this vessel that led to him receiving a bronze medal for military valour from the King of Italy and the DSM? He was also aboard the HMT Achilles II when it was struck by a mine and he didn't survive.

Hello Jenny

ACHILLES 225TG, 1x6pdr, Launched 1906, Requisitioned 1915 and renamed ACHILLES 11 as M/S in September. Admty No. 293, Port Reg. GY182. Mined and lost off the Shipwash Light Vessel 26.06.18.

Regards

John

Hello Jenny,

Welcome aboard.

Your Gt Uncle's Admiralty record shows:

SIDDLE, JOHN W., ENGINEMAN, RNR, E S 1152, ACHILLES II, 26/06/2018, SHIP LOSS.

The Achilles II hit a mine laid by German submarine UC 4 off the Shipwash LV, there were 3 survivors and 13 casualties.

HMT Wallington was a 259 ton trawler requisitioned in 1915 and converted to a Boom Defence Vessel. In 1918 it was renamed Oriflamme and was returned to its owners in 1919.

Sorry, I can't find any reference to its service. but think it must have served in the Aegean, perhaps in the Brindisi port area.

Best wishes

David

• 1 year later...

Hi Clark,

From my Grandfather's service record I see tha the also served on the Wallington from Oct 1917 to Aug 1918. He received to cheques for prize money which I presume were for some form of action during that time. Have no idea what that might have been.

Barry

STEELER, here is an award for services re PRETORIA does give where WALLINGTON (Boom Defence Vessel) was ;

SMEAL John C N/E Lt. RNVR 84S059 Wallington

Vice Admiral East Coast of England 06.04.18 Gazetted

Auxiliary Patrols 01.01.17 - 31.01.17 Mentioned in Despatches

On the 10th July, 1917, when serving in the A.F.T. "Pretoria", was attacked by an enemy submarine.

He fought his ship until all ammunition was expended and his eyesight injured by the explosion of shell, which also incapacitated him from further participation in the action.

Sadsac

Welcome to the forum,Barry

Here's one of the forum threads that discusses prize money:

I cannot find any of Wallington's Tenders that recieved a Prize bounty does it say Prize Fund?

Another thread dealing with Prize Funds and bounty's.

Regards Charles

Hi all

Regarding the "Wallington".

My grandfather's service record shows three postings,

"Niobe" 9 Jan 1917 to 13 Feb 1917, not a sea going ship.

"Pembroke" 14 Feb 1917 to 5 Oct 1917

"Wallington" 6 Oct 1917 to 31 Jul 1918

1 Aug 1918 to 11 Aug 1918

12 Aug 1918 to 16 Jan 1919

Headquarters 17 Jan 1919 to 8 Mar 1919

There are two letters each dated Mar 9th, 1926 with cheques for L 4 17 6 and L 0 13 0.

For share of "Naval Prize Money earned for service in offensively armed sea going ships of war"

The letter gives no indication of what action the prize money was for.

This is from his service record that I received from Ottawa.

Does anyone have an idea where I could find out more about his service in the RN.

He originally joined the RN Canadian Volunteer Reserve.

Barry (aka Steeler, Steelhead trout)

Barry,

Not an easy task if it dosn't say what ships he served on in his service documents, Wallington was an Auxiliary Patrol Depot its Headquarters was in Immingham, there was a Drifter called Wallington that the base was named after for legal reasons which was the Boom Defence vessel.

Regards Charles

Pictures of Niobe http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/diad...htm#HMS%20Niobe He was not aboard when she was damaged by the Halifax explosion.

Usually a Roman Numeral follow Pembroke, the main Pembroke was the RN barracks at Chatham.

This service record seems to missing information usual in an RN record; this also happens with some RNR records. What was his service number?

Hi All,

On my grandfather's application to join the RNCVR he is given the # V.R. 3504 and on his discharge papers his service # is 47-23-1 B.190.

Other correspondence says that he was in a seagoing ship from 14th Feb 1917 to 16th Jan 1919. His rank was that of a Leading Seaman.

The prize money letters state "being your share of Naval Prize Money earned for service in offensively armed sea-going ships of war".

From the Record of Services page there are no brackets and in the last column it says,"If in a seagoing ship" after Pembroke and Wallington it says Yes.

Would the PRO or RN have some more information?

Barry

• 1 year later...

Hi I also Had a Great uncle who served on HMS Wallington.Not sure how to insure which Wallington it was.Unfortunately he was in Chatham drill shed used as over flow accomodation when it was bombed.

Bob

The dates he served on her may help identify which Wallington it was.

• 2 years later...

I had the same question, as a ship by this name housed the Captain (D) in charge of the 7th Destroyer Flotilla in late 1918 (link).

It took some digging, and this MAY WELL NOT BE YOUR WALLINGTON, as there are others, but this ship changed names often.

Yacht St. George (1890) of 641 gross tons was a "special service vessel" from 3.3.15-26.1.16 and from 22.4.18 to 29.3.19

She was renamed Oriflamme in 6.18 and then Wallington in 9.18

Maddeningly, she again became Oriflamme in 3.19

A little of my own limited research hints that Oriflamme may have been named Wallington after a shore facility in its port (Humber), and that Oriflamme/Wallington may have been a ship/yacht that was a component of a shore facility named Wallington.

Source: Dittmar & Colledge, "British Warships 1914-1919", p. 151

tone