Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Royal Rifle Corps Chronicle 1916

Bob Coulson

I borrowed this title via Inter Library Loan, and it is the only volume I have accessed through this system that has carried the proviso that I could only read it on library premises and not take it home; very unusual, especially considering some of the rarities they are quite happy to let me take away and prop-up with the sauce bottle!!

It very much depends what info you are after. I was following a young subaltern kia, and there were a couple of sentences that didn't take me any further. As there were so many battalions of KRRC, the reportage was wide rather than deep, so I fear you may be disappointed.

Is there any overall list of regimental journals available on line or easily accesible? A 'Royal Warwickshire' regimental journal would be an interesting source. Is there one?

Simon

If you check the Army Museums Ogilby Trust website, they have a comprehensive bibliography for the regiments and corps. This can be searched by regiment and includes published regimental and battalion histories, biogrpahies and regimental journals. Regimental Journals for this period were not as common as they are now. I know that the Royal Warwicks did publish a journal after the Great War called "The Antelope", but I am not sure if this was in existence prior to 1914. Perhaps if you tried contacting the Royal Warwicks Museum at St John's House in Warwick, they would be able to give you a definitive answer.

Also, if someone wishes to have a copy of a particular journal, copies do come up for sale occassionally on the Advanced Book Exchange website.

I have the KRRC Chronicle 1915 if you want anything looked up in that.

Hi Bob,

I have just been to the Ypres Documentation Centre.

They have a copy of the KRRC Chronicle 1916.

(Also 1917, which I checked for you re August 1917 - see my reply somewhere else on this Forum.)

Should you want me to check something in the Chronicle 1916 ...

(But I'm afraid I won't be able to do that until next Wednesday.)

Aurel Sercu

Ypres

My Webpage The Diggers

• 6 years later...
I have the KRRC Chronicle 1915 if you want anything looked up in that.

Hi Jimmy - a long time after your original post here!

I'm researching my great uncle, Rifleman Henry Frederick Smith, 6/566, 4th Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps, who died 10 May 1915 and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

From what I've read, his batallion was in action near the Menin Road in the Ypres Salient around that time, and appears to have been involved inthe Battle of Frezenberg Ridge. Apart from that I've very little to go on (it's taken quite a while to narrow down which 'Smith' he was...). His medal card states that he entered the theatre of war on 7 March 1915.

Do you still have access to the KRRC Chronicle 1915, and if so, is there any mention that would be relevant to his deployment?

Thanks

Laurence Menear

... Do you still have access to the KRRC Chronicle 1915, and if so, is there any mention that would be relevant to his deployment? ...

Pals,

You can relax on Laurie's request - I've transcribed the all relevant sections of the 1915 KRRC Chronicle here: 4/KRRC May 1915 2nd Ypres - Chronicle/Diary?

:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark