Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Burke

chrisharley9

This lad is shown as resident at 26 Worth St, Rochdale Road, Manchester - he was killed by a train at Balcombe 12 Jun 1915 - he was a former NCO in the Connaught Rangers - SDGW shows that he enlisted Manchester.

I have the DC & will be submitting it in due course - can anyone give me pointers to where he might be buried as he is not listed by CWGC & of course any other info that there might be

Chris

Try Balcombe Churchyard, it has several war graves and he may be there.

The nearest 'corporation' cemetery is Haywards Heath (Western Road) Cemetery run by Haywards Heath Town Council - about five miles away.

Sorry Terry

should have said in Manchester as there is several Thomas Burkes listed as buried there - all 1915 burials

Will keep those Sussex locations in mind though

Chris

can anyone give me pointers to where he might be buried

Chris

I presume this is the chap you referred to in your other post. In which case, my pointers are the same.

Might be worth you contacting Bernard ("manchester regiment") to see if he has anything in his newspaper records.

John

John

thanks once again - Have got myself in a bit of muddle

Chris

Here is an extract from my forthcoming history of the 8th (Ardwick) Bn Manchester Regiment relating to the 2/8th and in particular the subject of the enquiry.

"A second line battalion, the 2/8th, was formed by Lieut Colonel J C H Crosland at Ardwick in September 1914 and in November moved to Southport as part of 199 Brigade, 66 Division. In early 1915 the battalion moved to Crowborough, Cuckfield and Pease Pottage in Sussex where much of this time appears to have been employed in duties on the railway system as there were several unfortunate fatal accidents. Private Joseph Locklin of Wormill Street, Ashton New Road, Manchester had both feet amputated after being knocked down and run over by a goods train whilst patrolling the line at Three Bridges on 11 February 1915. Private Herbert James Taylor of 79 Warwick Street, Hulme, Manchester was accidentally crushed in the goods yard at Balcombe. Corporal Thomas Burke of 26 Worth Street, Rochdale Road, Manchester was hit by a train. In addition in February 1916 Sergeant Percy Martlelow of C Company died after being struck in the back by a splinter from an exploding grenade whilst involved in bomb practice. In March 1916 the battalion moved to Colchester and on to France on14 March 1917."

They were probably rather glad to get away!

Robert Bonner

Robert

thanks very much for that info - all of the casualties are listed on the East Sussex Coroners Records - Joseph Locklin has just been recognised by the CWGC

Chris

Thomas Burke is not buried at Phillips Park, Gorton or Southern Cemeteries

Chris

Terry

who do I contact with regard to Balcombe Churchyard please

Chris

The Rectory

St Mary's Church

Balcombe

Haywards Heath

RH17 6PA

Tel: 01444 811249

Fax: 01444 811346

However, you may find that the burial records are located at West Sussex County Archives in Chichester or even East Sussex County Archives in Lewes (the boundary changed after WW1). Many church records have now been transferred.

Note: The numbers above are not private numbers and are publically available on the web.

chris,there were 2 thomas burkes buried in manchester in 1915,one in gorton cemetery and the other in phillips park,both are close to where he lived,bernard

Bernard

how checked both of them & they are children - thanks for the pointer though

Chris

• 1 month later...

Balcombe Rectory has been contacted

Chris

No joy with Balcombe rectory so on to W Sussex Records Office

Reply received from W Sussex he is not buried at Balcombe

Name:

BOURKE

Initials:

T

Nationality:

United Kingdom

Corporal

Regiment/Service:

Manchester Regiment

Unit Text:

8th (Reserve) Bn.

Date of Death:

12/06/1915

Service No:

Additional information:

Son of Thomas and Bridget Bourke, of Dublin; husband of Mary Bourke, of New Antrim St., Castlebar, Co. Mayo. Served in the South African War.

Casualty Type:

Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:

Soldiers' Plot. 174 (Screen Wall).

Cemetery:

MOSTON (ST. JOSEPH'S) ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY

Here he is - looking for the wrong name in the wrong place - lesson learnt check & recheck

Chris