Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does this stand for?

snavek

This abreviation has had me puzzled since I read it in 'Attleborough in Wartime', she's on a list with men who joined up. Can someone solve this mystery for me please:

Minnie Lincoln N.A.C.B. 1918

Keith

This was the forerunner of the modern NAAFI.

Keith, this might seem a strange request but do you have any Attleborough men named on the memorial who are buried in the Somme region or on Thiepval. The reason is that my parents are visiting me in Auchonvillers in February, they live in Attleborough and I thought I might give them some local 'colour'.

Mick

Hywyn, Matt, once again Forum members have come up trumps, thank you. I suppose they would be found on Railway Stations, Hospitals, Camps, etc., anywhere a cup of tea, a wad and a friendly face were needed.

Mick, leave this with me and I will get back to you. I've only looked at our Lincoln names to date and they mostly come from the villages around Attleborough. Ribemont Communal Extension (Old Buckenham), Arras Memorial (2 brothers from Old Buckenham), Cambrai East (Rockland St. Peter), then moving further away Loos (Wacton) and La Brique No. 1 (Wymondham).

I'll have a look at the full Roll and come back with more details.

Keith

Mick, I note your parents will be with you in February, do you still want to include Thiepval as I read on another thread that the Memorial will be closed for three months from January. Shame really as I'd found a man who lived with his parents on Morley Road, Attleborough. Got another from Queens Road but he's on the Cambrai Memorial at Louveral which I suspect is a bit far out. Anyway let me know what you think about Thiepval.

Keith

Keith

Keith

My understanding of N.A.C.B is National Army Catering Board my own Grandfather spent the last couple of months in this section in 1919 after coming back from France, (job for one of the boys) as a Colour Segt.

Regards Kevin

Keith I have pm'd you. i didnt answer before because i couldnt find the thread and couldn't remember the original title of it!!

Mick