Remembered Today:

Irish Rebellion Postcard

Roy Evans

I recently picked up this postcard;

"Irish Rebellion May 1916 Guarding one of the Dublin Streets"

The sign on the left reads 'Madden Outfitters'

Can anyone identify the Street? ;)

Talbot Street.

For the best ever collection of Irish Rising photographs buy the just published book called "The Irish Times book of the Irish Rising" by Shane hegarty and Fintan O'Toole, published by Gill & McMillan.

wig

Talbot Street.

For the best ever collection of Irish Rising photographs buy the just published book called "The Irish Times book of the Irish Rising" by Shane hegarty and Fintan O'Toole, published by Gill & McMillan.

wig

Can you please provide FULL bibliographical data including the ISBN for this book?

Thanks from acorss the little pond!

John

John (Wig) - any idea of which regiment / battalion the soldiers in the photo are from?

website for Gill and macmillan is:

www.gillmacmillan.ie

isbn 13: 978 07171 4191 3

isbn 10: 07171 4191 8

Unfortunately it is not possible to identify the regt of the soldiers. Well anyway I cant. I will try and blow the picture up a bit later on this weekend. But Fairly confident that it is not the Sherwood Foresters.

wig

Thanks for all your replies.

I've had a go at enlarging the postcard myself but cant make out the cap badges either, but then I'm no expert.

Roy

But Fairly confident that it is not the Sherwood Foresters.

John - Didn't think so! Just hoping.

(P.S. I must remember to post that book back to you. I read it. It's a bit....tedious isn't it!? :P )

Roy - thanks for the efforts to enlarge and decipher the cap badges.

There is another version of this photograp, appended hereto. Still can't make out the cap badges.

There is another version of this photograp, appended hereto. Still can't make out the cap badges.

Guest KevinEndon

Just wondering what the defensive qualities of a sofa or an armchair are. Bet the soldiers felt really protected behind a chase lounge.

Kevin - your comments about the defensive properties of upholstered furniture has got me thinking.

Two photo's. Different angles. Taken from in front of the barricade, i.e. in the Easter Rising's version of 'no man's land'....

Presumably staged photo's?