Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

McCorquodale Roll of Honour 1914-1918

Will O'Brien

Andy

I can confirm that AE Molden appears in the Roll of Honour

Rifeman Albert Edwin Molden S/14126 8th Batt The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consorts Own)

Apprentice Lithographer with seven years service at McCorquodale's Cardington Street Office.

Joined His Majesty's Force in October 1915 & Died of Wounds in France on 3rd December 1917 age 23

I see the Roll of Honour is a day out on the date of death

Below is the photograph of Albert from the Roll

Will,

You are a Star, many thanks for this great image, it is much appreciated. I bel;ieve there is at least 1 more RB man in the Roll, 7th or 9th Battalion if I remember correctly. Wonder if I could be cheeky and ask you to have a little look for me. Thank you once again Will.

Andy

Andy

There are 4 other Rifle Brigade chaps on the Roll of Honour.

Corporal Thomas William Bates P/162 16th Batt The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consorts Own)

Machine Minder with two years six months service at McCorquodale's Cardington Street Office.

Joined His Majesty's Force in November 1915 & was killed on 3rd September 1916 age 36

The Roll of Honour & the CWGC differ on Thomas' age. The Roll states 36 & the CWGC 39. The roll also just states killed. This is quite unusual as it usually confirms either killed in action or cause of death. Perhaps Thomas was killed accidentally or something like that, although he's on the Thiepval Memorial which may point at a KIA

Below is the photograph of Thomas from the Roll

Rifleman Harry Kitchenside P/165 16th Batt The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consorts Own)

Machine Minder with twenty one years service at McCorquodale's Cardington Street Office.

Joined His Majesty's Force in November 1915 & was killed in France on 6th May 1916 age 37

The Roll of Honour & the CWGC differ on Harry's date of death. The Roll states 6th May & the CWGC 3rd May. Notice the Service number of Harry & Thomas Bates. Their service numbers are only 3 digits apart. As they did the same job in the same office my guess is that the Machine Minders from Cardington Street joined up en-masse in November 1915.

Below is the photograph of Harry from the Roll

Rifleman Frederick Phelps S/13097 10th Batt The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consorts Own)

Departmental Clerk with two years service at McCorquodale's Cardington Street Office.

Joined His Majesty's Force in June 1915 & died of Phthisis contracted on Service on 21st August 1916 age 19

My understanding is that Phthsis is another term for TB. Frederick doesn't appear on the CWGC (or at least I can't find him which might not be the same thing). I'm toying with putting him forward for commemoration, although I know it's difficult to prove that death by TB was attributable to service. The only involvement I've had with getting someone added previously was a straight KIA who'd simply been missed off the official casualty lists.

Below is the photograph of Frederick from the Roll

Rifleman Henry White S/16302 16th Batt The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consorts Own)

Labourer Case Department with five years service at McCorquodale's Armoury Office.

Joined His Majesty's Force in April 1916 & died of wounds recieved in action on the Somme 22nd October 1916

Below is the photograph of Henry from the Roll

If you would like to see a photograph of the McCorquodale War Memorial plaque it can be seen on our website at www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk I would have posted it here but our photo is larger than the recommended maximum size of 100KB and further compression would lose detail.

June

Will,

Many thanks indeed, I was aware of Frederick Phelps but had no idea of the others, once again it is much appreciated indeed.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hi Will .... I wonder if you have any South Lancs ( POWV ) on McCorquodale's Roll ?

If there's loads I apologise .... but I really would be grateful if you could take a look !

Thanking you in advance !

Annie :)

Hi Will .... I wonder if you have any South Lancs ( POWV ) on McCorquodale's Roll ?

Annie

I found 3 of the roll.

Number 1.

Private Sidney Bartlett 201095

1/4th Battalion The Prince of Wales' Vounteers South Lancashire Regiment.

Compositor of 10 years service at the Newton-le -Willows Office.

Joined His Majesty's Armed Forces in November 1914

Killed in Action at Givenchy on the 11th April 1918 age 28.

The CWGC have Sidney's age as 27 not 28.

Number 2.

Sergeant Fred Stanley 2011103

2/4th Battalion The Prince of Wales' Vounteers South Lancashire Regiment.

Compositor of 12 years service at the Newton-le -Willows Office.

Joined His Majesty's Armed Forces in November 1914

Killed in Action at Bullecourt on the 28th August 1918 age 32.

& Number 3.

Lance Corporal William Arthur Temple 12367

2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment.

Letterpress Machine Minder of 12 years service at the Newton-le -Willows Office.

Joined His Majesty's Armed Forces on 2nd September 1914

Presumed Killed in Action near Armentieres on the 10th April 1918 age 29.

Oh Will ...... I'm sitting here with a dropped jaw !!

Very many thanks for these great images - they are very much appreciated !!

You're welcome :D

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bring up a topic from 2003.

But I had McCorquodale Roll of Honour for Christmas and it is a most excellent resource!! :poppy:

I wish all companies had produced these! Does anyone know of any more?

• 4 years later...

Hi Will

My apologies for reopening this thread after such a long time but I believe there may be details of a former Manchester City footballer in the McCorquodale Roll of Honour and wonderered if it was possible to get a copy of his page and photographs please?

Here are his details:

Lance Sergeant 11710 Jack George Yuill

19th Manchesters

Killed 9 July 1916 and commemorated at Thiepval.

Yuill only played a handful of games in the Football League for City and Stockport County and finished his career at Northern Nomads a year or so before the war.

Many thanks in advance.

Iain

• 2 years later...

hi,

I found this thread through a search as my parents worked at mccorquadales in cardington street and was wondering if you have any details about it. I have lots of details from mum and dad, mum has sadly now passed away and am still searching for info ! Thanks Andy

• 2 years later...

St Peter's Newton-in-Makerfield (Newton-le-Willows, as is) has the memorial from the local McCorquodale building - along with a Boer War plaque to Hugh Stewart McCorquodale - and a case holding the Death Penny and four medals of Pte. Sydney Bartlett, 201095, 1st/4th South Lancashire Regiment, mentioned above. See the IWM Register - WMR 53068, 53063, and 53066 respectively - though I'm presently revising them and adding images.