Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who were they?

Jon6640

I have researcghed the men listed on my village war memorial in Cheslyn Hay, Staffordshire. I have used SDGW, CWGC and local newspapers but have drawn a blank on the following men, can any forum members help?

1. William Robert BOWEN

2. Harry GRIFFITHS

3. Roland A KNOX - No trace CWGC or Soldiers died, LOcal history society records show him as 2nd Leiutenant and named Andrew. Only 2Lt KNOX is 2nd Lt Andrew Ronald KNOX of 185th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers. Killed 12.12.1915, aged 33 buried in ALBERT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, Son of James and Florence Knox, of The Chase, Nuneaton.

4. Frank RAINBOW

5. Harry W RAINBOW - Possibly Pte 8977 Walter Harry RAINBOW 2nd Battalion Leicestershire Regt, killed 24.11.1914 France Flanders. Local History Society records from village Roll of Honour say both these were Privates in Lancashire Regt (No trace of any RAINBOW killed in any of the three Lancashire Regiments) These men both born in St Marks, Leicester, and Enlisted in Leicester.

6. Percy C RAINBOW - Possibly Pte 8093 Percival Charles RAINBOW 2nd Bttn Leicestershire Regt, killed 25.09.1915 France Flanders. Local History Society records from village Roll of Honour say both these were Privates in Lancashire Regt (No trace of any RAINBOW killed in any of the three Lancashire Regiments) These men both born in St Marks, Leicester, and Enlisted in Leicester.

7. Reginald Rowley

8. Ernest Robinson

How about this man for Frank Rainbow

Medal card of Rainbow, Frank

Corps Regiment No Rank

Leicestershire Regiment 7715 Private

Royal Defence Corps 60977 Acting Company Quartermaster Serjeant

He probably came from this battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment

9th Bn. Royal Defence Corps from the 1st (Home Service) Garrison Bn Leicestershire Regt.

What an unusal surname! Given that he went to the Royal Defence Corps, he maybe died at home after the cutoff dates for CWGC and SDGW but was remembered locally and put forward. Best of luck.

How about this man for Frank Rainbow

Medal card of Rainbow, Frank

Corps Regiment No Rank

Leicestershire Regiment 7715 Private

Royal Defence Corps 60977 Acting Company Quartermaster Serjeant

He probably came from this battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment

9th Bn. Royal Defence Corps from the 1st (Home Service) Garrison Bn Leicestershire Regt.

What an unusal surname! Given that he went to the Royal Defence Corps, he maybe died at home after the cutoff dates for CWGC and SDGW but was remembered locally and put forward. Best of luck.

Thanks, although I can't find a Cheslyn Hay link to the Rainbows I think that I have traced my three.

Jon

William Robert Bowen was born in Cheslyn Hay 1894 and lived there with his family at the time of the 1901 census. his father William H. Bowen, born in Oldswinford, Worcestershire was a "coal miner cager". Mother Frances E. Bowen was born in Wolverhampton.

Myrtle

Hi,

Wonder if Knox is related to Cecil Leonard Knox who was also a Royal Engineer.

He won the VC in 1918 while serving with the Ulster Division REs', 150th Field Co.

He was from Nuneaton and is buried there. I think he was killed in a car accident while serving in the Home Guard as a Major in the 2nd War.

May be worth seeing if your Knox is also on Nuneatons War Memorial.

Rob

Just had a thought, as Knox was a Tunnelling engineer and the Cannock area is known for its mining,did he work for a local pit as a manager or something that may have connected him to Cheslyn Hay, sufficient to put his name on the war memorial.

Rob