Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.O.X. Company, Army Service Corps

dave ricketts

Can anyone help me in regard to this Unit and what they did? They were based in Stockport at the end of 1918, and one of the people I am researching, who was in the Labour Corps, was attached to them.

Dave Ricketts

Dave

Are you sure it is D. O. X. Company? I have come across an X Company A. S. C. which was involved in Forage work.

If you let me have the details of the man you are researching who is in the Labour Corps I will see if I can identify his Labour Corps Company.

The fact that he was attached to an A.S.C. Company may well have meant that his work was in a support capacity.

Ivor,

The man was Joseph Thomas BIDDLE, number 168014. At the time of the compilation of the 1918 ER he was a Private at Northern Command L.C. A partial file exists in WO363, although he only served at home. This contains a letter from very early 1919 from a local businessman who knew him, and was also on the local Tribunal. This was addressed to Officer Commanding D.O.X. Company A.S.C. and concerns Cpl Biddle, with the same number, and the possibility of release as he ran the local pub (which is still there), and his wife, who had been running it in his absence, was unwell.

The only other thing in the file was the form about disability at time of discharge, when Joseph Biddle was once again a Private, albeit with a number of 169691.

Dave

Dave

Sorry for the delay in replying - this week has been a hectic one!

I am intrigued about Pte Biddle having two Labour Corps numbers. If this is not a clerical error it would suggest that he was in the Labour Corps transferred to another regiment/corps and then transferred back to the Labour Corps. But his two numbers of 168014 and 169691 are two close together for this to happen. My own feeling is that it is probably a clerical error.

The other thing is that I am fairly confident that he was attached to X Company of the ASC. I have come across a number of men in the Labour Corps with numbers around 168000 all of whom are part of Northern Command Labour Centre who are attached to X Company ASC.

In September 1916 Army Council Instruction 1812 said that men were urgently needed for the Forage Department. Men were selected from Infantry Works Battalions and in Northern Command area 430 men were sent to X Company ASC at Leeds.

Therefore I think this was the unit he was attached to. Could it be that where its says D. O. X. it means "District Office X Company". If the HQ of X Company was Leeds, perhaps there was a company posted at Stockport?