Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quakers who took up arms CANADIANS CEF

John Gilinsky

I know that another topic is ongong dealing with Quakers who took up arms but I am starting one just for the Canadians (in the CEF mainly).

Here goes my first salvo:

Gregory, Goldwin

(born 1895 - d. ? )

Barrister, for Confederation Life (major Canadian Insurance Company) in Toronto and Oakville

Law student in 1913

May 1915 overseas enlisted in the British Friends' Ambulance Unit

Returned to England in November 1915 after serving in various capacities including an extended stay in Italy as a Friend's officer.

Transferred to the British R.A.S.C. as a 2nd. Lieutenant (late 1915?)

Discharged from the C.E.F. May 16, 1919.

Anyone have any more information on this man and WHY he became a soldier?

Above information is taken from the Upper Canada College War Book from 1923.

Thanks for any information,

John

Quakers who took up arms tended to be "birthright members" of the Society of Friends. That is to say people born into a Quaker family, who may or may not themselves have attended Quaker meetings.

The Quaker Library in London's Euston Road holds details of every British "Quaker" of military age, and what they did, or didn't do, in WW1.

Quakers who took up arms tended to be "birthright members" of the Society of Friends. That is to say people born into a Quaker family, who may or may not themselves have attended Quaker meetings.

The Quaker Library in London's Euston Road holds details of every British "Quaker" of military age, and what they did, or didn't do, in WW1.

Specific contact details would be appreciated including names, addresses, emails, AND specific collections, fonds, files if known.

Tx,

John

John

Sorry, I missed this until now.

I am away from home but will get back to you when I get home.

John

I have had a look to see if I have the requested "specific collections, fonds, files if known.".

They are not known, as I did this research over 20 years ago, and was actually looking for information on Conscientious Objectors. In the process of doing this I noticed the returns mentioning the war service, or lack of it, of all Quakers of military age.

Use this link and scroll down to Quaker Genealogical Resources Online "Section IV": England, Ireland, and Scotland

http://www.mlcook.lib.oh.us/Ohioana/friend...0and%20Scotland

Contact details are given, including the name of the Librarian, email, website, phone numbers etc.

• 12 years later...

Goldwin Smith Gregory 15.8.1895-29.3.1946

born Ontario, son of Walter Dymond and Mary Frances nee Pattullo. Father born in Somerset, mother born Ontario

1911 pupil at Bootham Quaker School, York

• 3 years later...