Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"DOG-TAG" MYSTERY

CROONAERT

I have in my possession several 1906 pattern (round aluminium with a "tag") British "dog-tags",one of which is a little mystery to me.

It is marked up in the standard way ,but I've no idea what the unit initials stand for.

The unit is "R.M.A.S.".

I'd be grateful if anybody can shed some light onto what these initials stand for.The two suggestions that I've already received are "Royal Military Academy Sandhurst",(but why would a dog tag be marked up to this), and "Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service" (but I believe that this didn't come into existance untill the 1960's).

The original owner's service number is ,I think, an army number,not naval. (2250)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

Could it be connected to the Royal Marine Artillery? Their service records are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton.

The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst was not named as such until 1947 and so is not a likely candidate.

Out of interest, the Royal Military Academy existed between 1741-1939. The separate Royal Military College existed 1800-1939. The new Royal Military Academy Sandhurst was formed in 1947.

Are the letters definately 'RMAS' and not 'RNAS'? Just checking.

It's a definate "M",Terry.

Thanks for the suggestion Kate,I'll certainly look into it.

Just in case anyone can help the complete details on the tag are as follows:

R.M.A.S.

C.E.

W.W.BASHFORD

Cheers,

Dave.