Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

culvert near Rue du Bois

Annette Burgoyne

Hi All

Can anyone tell me where the culvert is near Le Quesne, Rue du Bois(Armentieres). It was the junction between the 1st Leicestershires & 1st K.S.L.I. but I can not find it on any map that I have but I do have an idea where it is. The 1st K.S.L.I. War Diary records it was west of Le Marade (may be mispelling of Marais ?) and Leices Diary record 500 yards south of Railway crossing see map below, can anyone confirm this or not.

Thanks in advance

Annette

post-3-1069007433.jpg

• Admin

Hi Annette

I can't show a reply as scanner is kaput, but in Peter Chasseauds book there is something shown crossing towards Grand Marais. If anyone has the book and can scan in for me, its plate 28 on page 57.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Hi Michelle

I have got Peter Chasseauds map book. It looks like a trench which crosses the railway close to where I think the culvert is. Where I have circled on my map is what looks like a ditch or hedge and this is about 500 yards from the crossing. I would like to know for sure as I wish to mark the culvert on my map.

Regards

Annette

Hi Annie

Thats good, because if it's a ditch, then it must go under railway line via a culvert, or am I barking up the wrong tree :blink:

Thanks

Annette

(Risking ridicule from the NW Pals, here) :D

Here's that above mentioned map in colour...

Dave.

post-3-1069113142.jpg

Thanks Dave

What with Annie's info. and info. from the war diaries, I am now 99.99 % sure that this is Junction of the 1st K.S.L.I. and 1st Leicestershires.

Thanks all

Annette