Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Occupation of Germany 1918

Thomas

I'm just interested in knowing what British divisions were sent to Germany in 1918 and 1919 as an occupation force.

From Thomas McCall

The following Divisions are noted in the Official History. All took part in the advance from the Armistice Line.

Guards

1st (later, Western)

2nd (later, Light)

3rd (later, Northern)

4th

5th

6th (later, Midland)

8th

9th (later, Lowland)

15th

29th (later, Southern)

30th

32nd (later, Lancashire)

33rd

34th (Later, Eastern)

37th

40th

41st (later, London)

42nd

50th

51st

52nd

55th

56th

59th

61st

62nd (later, Highland)

63rd

66th

74th

1st, 2nd, 3rd Cavalry

The Divisions that adopted new titles were those in Germany in January 1919. They were organised into three Corps (II, VI and IX plus Army Troops).

Australian 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th advanced but not into Germany.

Canadian 1st, 2nd, 3rd went into Germany as a Corps.

New Zealand advanced but not into Germany.

At least, from what I could glean from a quick skim read to answer the question, this is the list, but I may be wrong on the Aussies and NZs....

Thomas,this publication should be of some help.

The Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929 by B.G. Sir James Edmonds is very informative source of "the advance into Germany" after November 11th. It is an official account of the role of the British forces during this era. It is worth reading.

Regards

Frank East

One of the Australian divisions was told they were going to be involved in this but at the last minute the order for them to move into Germany was cancelled.

The only Australian unit to serve in the occupation force was the 4th Squadron Australian Flying Corps.

I'm pretty sure I've read of some New Zealand units serving in the occupation force but maybe Christine or someone can confirm.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Chris, Andrew and Frank for all your help. It's much appreciated!

From,

Thomas McCall

Rev J.O. Coop's history of the 55th Division states that its orders to proceed to the Rhine to form part of the Army of Occupation were cancelled on 14th December 1914, and that the Division did not move to Germany.

S

Canadian 1st, 2nd, 3rd went into Germany as a Corps.

Originally all four Canadian divisions were to scheduled to be part of the Army of Occupation. Due to the destruction of roads, bridges and railways the 3rd and 4th Divisions were not able to advance. In the end, the 1st and 2nd Canadian Divisions, Headquarters Corps and some Corps Troops already on the march formed Canada's contribution to the Army of Occupation. The 3rd and 4th Divisions remained in Belgium before being sent to England.

Garth

I can confirm that some New Zealanders were involved in the occupation of Germany. My grandfather was a machine gunner in the New Zealand Division and he was stationed in Koln (Cologne) until 1919. His abiding memory was of the cathedral and he had kept a postcard featuring the same.

Robert

From the official account of the British occupation of the Rhineland. (B.A.R.). Maybe of some interest to Robert.

For the drive to the Rhineland, the leading Brigade of the New Zealand Division did not arrive in the area until 20th December 1918 when it detrained at Ehrenfeld and marched into Cologne.The other two Brigades arrived two days later.

The Division was part of the Second Army under Major General Russell and had been allocated to the Second Army from 1V Corps (Fourth Army) for "The March to the German Frontier and to the Rhine."

In the demobilisation plan the New Zealand Division was relieved by the No 62 Division (from 1X Corps) on 2nd February 1919.Overall demobilisation quotas in the Rhineland had been set at 1,200 per day up to 20th January 1919 from a start date of 10th January 1919 increasing to 2400 per day from 20th January throughout February 1919.

The New Zealand Division was finally disbanded on 25th March 1919.

Regards

Frank East