Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map reading skills

Matt Dixon

I have tried on 2 attempts to Vimy to find the Lichfield Crater and have failed miserably.

I have found Zivy Crater no problems but I cannot find this one.

Does it still exist, and if so can someone give me some simple directions on how to find it!

I cannot help you much with today's maps, but there is a section of the 1917 Thelus N.W. map reproduced with the on line war diaries of the 31st Battalion for the Vimy show. From this I estimate the location of Lichfield Crater as A.4.c.9.9 .

You can check my guess at the location here: http://data2.archives.ca/e/e040/e000975623.jpg

I hope this helps a bit.

The CWGC directions are:

Lichfield Crater is a small cemetery situated by the hedge of the motorway A26 (Paris-Calais) behind the village of Neuville St Vaast. On entering Neuville St Vaast follow the directions for the Vimy Canadian Memorial and take the third road on the right toward the wood, go over the motorway and take the first right towards the fields. The cemetery lies in a field approximately 450 metres from the crossroads.

(The cemetery is still very much there.)

Tom

Thanks pals I shall look next week when I am there.

Hi

Con I suggest you go to www.silentcities.co.uk there will get all the information that you will require, go into the index and look up under L

John

I think I have now got it! Thanks for all the help, will let you know on Thursday whether I have been successful or not!

The track to Lichfield crater can be approached from either end. Possibly the easiest is from the Thelus crossroads.

The track is a turning off the Arras-Lens road, only a very few yards past the crossing with the Neuville Saint Vaast-Bailleul road, at Thelus. It doesn't look much, just like its a path leading behind the houses. In most weathers its driveable if you don't mind exercising your rear suspension a bit. As you drive out across the fields the motorway cutting is on your left. The final path from the track to the crater is turfed and I guess about 30 yards long.