Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Interpretation

Pete1052

Hello all,

I appreciate that this forum has been inactive for a while but I've stumbled on a document that may be of interest. On the US Armies 'Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library' website I found a US army publication called:

Notes on the Interpretation of Aeroplane Photographs. Dated Sep 1917

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p4013coll9&CISOPTR=221&CISOBOX=1&REC=1

If the above link does not work go to http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/contentdm/home.htm and search for 'photographic interpretation'.

All the best

Tim

• 1 year later...
However, it seems to lack (or at least the pdf version does) the most useful feature of the RFC original - actual photographs and annotated sketch maps showing the things described in the text.

The Fort Leavenworth Digital Archive now contains .pdf copies of the actual photographs and sketch maps:

Illustrations to Accompany "Notes on the interpretation of aeroplane photographs".

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm4/document.php?...R=344&REC=2

Also of potential interest to anyone interested in PI is a translation of a 1916 French document:

Instructions concerning battle maps.

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.p...OX=1&REC=11

Martyn,

You stated earlier in this thread, "...which is a shame, as there is a huge amount of detail lurking in various archives." I'm currently in the process of choosing a dissertation subject for my MA (First World War Studies) course and am considering focusing on photographic interpretation. I'm particularly interested in exploring the evolution of the interpretation techniques, how the intelligence was reported and to what level. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

In addition I'm trying to get hold of a copy of your book, without much success. I know it's due for reprint next year but cannot wait that long..... any ideas?

Tim

There is a book called "Shooting the Front" available from America but due to be published in the U K by Hayes this gets very good reviews.

best regards John

There is a book called "Shooting the Front" available from America but due to be published in the U K by Hayes this gets very good reviews.

best regards John

I am away from home but can get details on this in a couple of weeks when I get back - there is a copy in the university library here and I have consulted it. There are also considerable details of the US effort in the Gorrell files (in the US National Archive) The substance of these are summarized in a four volume work by Maurer Maurer (the title escapes me - something to do with the US war in the air) published in the early 70s which I have a copy of if you need refs. I have only limited knowledge in this area but have been looking at a US aero squadron who did lots of photo- recce and so have tried to accqaint myself with the basic details and US sources - if it turns out your research has a US component (most of their techniques - but not all their photo equipment it seems - as suggested above were learned from the French and British) please drop me a line and I'll send on what I can.

Chris

best regards John

it deserved every good review it's gotten thus far, and maybe a few extra. I pre-ordered this book when it first came out-- in hopes that it would be an awe-inspiring work of scholarship and I was NOT disappointed. which was good, cuz it took me FOREVER to get that thing. even though the pre-order kinda "fell through" and I had to replace the order online for a higher price-- y'know what, it was worth it because the book is just THAT good.

it's not for the faint of heart-- you'll pretty much have to put your thinking cap on and get into full-blown 'scholar' mode to read this book. but the information it provides is, to my mind, second to none. the author obviously went through a lot of primary and secondary historical sources to produce this book.

Thanks for the feedback. I have managed to get hold of a copy of Terry Finnegan's book (my wallet is still recovering) and have found it invaluable, but as stated above it is not a 'light read'. I was fortunate enough to meet Terry briefly whilst he was here in Britain earlier this year, by his own admission his coverage of the British developments were limited by the source material he managed to access. Inevitable really as it is the evolution of British photographic interpretation that I want to focus on!

Chris, I would be particularly interested in any information you might come across highlighting techniques copied directly or lessons learnt from the British experiences during the development of US photographic reconnaissance.

As far as I can establish 'formal' British photographic interpretation did not start until January 1915 when an experimental photographic section was established under the RFC's First Wing. By the end of 1915 all 3 RFC Wings had a photographic section manned by personnel trained by Frederick Laws (who had spent 3 months at each wing training the personnel – following this he went back to England to Head the newly created 'School of Photography' at Farnborough). By April 1916 photographic sections had been provided to reconnaissance Squadrons of the Wings operating with each Army Corps. Each photographic section contained a 'Photographic Officer', classified as non-flying equipment officers, trained at the School of Photography, who was responsible for processing, printing and examining photography. In October 1916 Trenchard proposed that intelligence officers be brought onto the strength of reconnaissance Squadrons to ease the workload on the Photographic Officer and improve the intelligence output. GHQ approved this in December 1916 and intelligence staff from organisations directly supported by the RFC provided the majority of the personnel. These new intelligence sections comprised; an Intelligence (Corps) Officer and 2 draughtsmen. The sections role was to:

Debrief Observers on landing.

Disseminate all information 'asap', especially to Corps and Army HQ's.

Examine, annotate and issue all photography obtained.

These intelligence sections located at Squadron level were the photographic interpretation 'coalface' for the remainder of the war.

What I want to try and do is link names to the roles of 'Photographic Officer' and 'Intelligence Officer' that may lead to diaries/oral histories. Can anyone point me at specific Squadron records/histories or any other sources that link individuals by name with these roles/posts?

Tim,

You should talk to the Military Intelligence Museum at Chicksands, as it is an Intelligence Corps task, the Medmenham Collection of Air Photography is also hosted there.

It may also interest you that the first "Corps Intelligence Section" which were aerial photo interpretation sections, not "all-source intelligence sections" was established at I ANZAC in 1917 under a Captain Tait, Intelligence Corps, he was later awarded the DSO for his work.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hendo,

Thanks for the reminder ref the Int Corps museum at Chicksands. I've already established contact with the custodians of the Medmenham collection, it was through them that I got my first look at 'Shooting the Front'.

Captain Tait, Intelligence Corps,

Is the Capt Tait you refer to the one in the group photograph of 3 Sqn AFC (Nov 1917) - the Intelligence Officer (attached) Imperial Forces.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/E02765

Tim

Tim,

I imagine that would be him. Leave it with me for a few hours and I will fig out some notes on him,

Cheers,

Hendo

Tim,

Apologies for the dealy in responding. Yes it is Tait in the photograph, he was the "Branch Intelligence Officer" that is the aerial photograph intelligence officer, here is the recomendation from the AWM files:

Gerald Trevredyn TAIT, Intelligence Corps, attached to I ANZAC, 1917.

Award: Chevalier de l'Ordre de Leopold (for Captains).

1 Aust Corps citation for this award reads:

Captain Tait has served continuously with the Corps for over a year as Officer in charge of the I ANZAC Corps Branch Intelligence Section.

The Branch Intelligence Section was the first to be formed in France, and was originally looked upon as an experiment.

Captain Tait brought the organisation to a most efficient state and since then has done consistently good work, and during operations, the prompt issue of photographs and information from the Branch Intelligence Section was considerable factor in helping towards their success.

Sources:

AWM. Honours and Awards Recommendations Database

Cheers,

Hendo

Gerald Trevredyn TAIT, Intelligence Corps, attached to I ANZAC, 1917.

Award: Chevalier de l'Ordre de Leopold (for Captains).

1 Aust Corps citation for this award reads:

Captain Tait has served continuously with the Corps for over a year as Officer in charge of the I ANZAC Corps Branch Intelligence Section.

The Branch Intelligence Section was the first to be formed in France, and was originally looked upon as an experiment.

Captain Tait brought the organisation to a most efficient state and since then has done consistently good work, and during operations, the prompt issue of photographs and information from the Branch Intelligence Section was considerable factor in helping towards their success.

Sources:

AWM. Honours and Awards Recommendations Database

Hendo,

Thanks for the information. I've not looked yet but I assume that the 'Honours and Awards Recommendations Database' is available online via the AWM site?

Do you happen to know the date when the I ANZAC (Corps) Branch Intelligence Section stood up and when Tait actually started his attachment with them? The AWM site indicates that 3 Sqn AFC although mobilised for France in July 1917 did not arrive until 10 Sep 1917. If the I ANZAC (Corps) Branch Intelligence Section stood up before this it would suggest that Tait wore two hats (Corps and Sqn Intelligence Officer), this begs the question/s where did he operate from Corps HQ or Sqn Afld, and where was the photographic interpretation carried out?

Regards

Tim

Tim,

I don't have the answer to the question of when he started, but he wasn't the I ANZAC Staff Officer Intelligence, that person was MAJ S.S. Butler. If he started before 3 Sqn AFC deployed, which I believe, Tait would have been attached with his Branch Intelligence Section to whichever RFC Sqn was at that time allocated as the I ANZAC support squadron. As to where the photographic interpretation was carried out, I believe it would have been at the airfield, it would have been far more efficient to send out annotated photographs and reports from there (I do know the last Australian Army Imagery Sect was colocated with the AAAvn squadron in the field in the 80's), rather than moving the unprocessed film to the HQ.

Re AWM database, yes. As he was an Englishman the other place to look would be TNA Kew. Taits file may have survived which would give you the dates and attachments, even his Medal Index Card could help. I unfortunately haven't accessed either as I am unwilling to cough up the highway robbery fees that TNA and their contractor ancestory.com want, I am to used to the wonderfully free service our National Archive provides here in Oz.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hendo,

I've located Tait's award recommendation, thank you. Going by the wording and the date of the recommendation the I ANZAC Corps Branch Intelligence Section was probably stood up in early December 1916, coincided with GHQ's approval of Trenchard's proposal to establish intelligence staff at Sqn level.

I've not had much success with the UK Archives yet.... but Tait was 'Gazette'd" on 22 Sep 1914 as a 'Temporary' 2nd Lt in the Royal Field Artillery.

Thanks for all your help. I agree your archives are awesome....

Regards

Tim

Tim,

Pleased to have been of help. I'm not sure of when he was recommended, but think it was written up in the last weeks of Birdwood and Butler being with I ANZAC/the Aust Corps.

Cheers,

Hendo

• 2 years later...

I know that this thread has been inactive for a while but if anyone is interested I've written a series of blogs covering the evolution of British Photographic Interpretation on the Western Front: http://tim-slater.blogspot.com/2011/07/british-aerial-photography-and.html The series of blogs is an adaptation of my final dissertation mentioned earlier in the thread.

Tim

• 2 years later...
Aerial Reconnaissance & the First World War

An exhibition at Dimbola Museum and Galleries,

Terrace Lane, Freshwater Bay,

Isle of Wight, England, PO40 9QE

11TH JANUARY - 25TH FEBRUARY

World War One saw photo-reconnaissance come of age. For the first time photographs were taken from immediately above the field of battle and behind enemy lines, giving commanders in the field a unique and accurate picture of terrain and enemy dispositions as they planned their operations.

This exhibition includes examples of cameras and original photographs and maps showing how they were used by soldiers planning their activities. Most have been loaned by descendents currently resident on the Isle of Wight.

Exhibition Talk - Thursday 13th February, 6pm

John Evans will be providing a fascinating insight into this historically-significant technology and the way in which it was used during the First World War. The talk will be followed by a reception and the opportunity to see the exhibition with hot and cold drinks available from a fully-licensed cash bar. Tickets are £4 and are available from Dimbola or by calling 01983 756814.

Regards,

Jamie.